From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my sound card as an analog data source with Measurement Studio?

I want to use my sound card (SoundBlaster) as a real time analog data source with Measurement Studio. Can this be done, and if so, how do you fill in the property pages, etc.?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,702 Views)
Hi Mark,

The DAQ control that comes with Measurement Studio is designed to work with National Instruments DAQ cards only, such as the PCI-MIO series, which have both anagog input and analog output channels. However since you have a third party sound card, you need to use the driver for this card and program it through its Visual Basic interface, if any. Another (harder) option is to program the card at the register level.

Best Regards
Azucena
NI
Message 2 of 5
(3,702 Views)
Thanks, Azucena.

Two follow-up questions, if you have a chance:
--Will Measurement Studio support third-party sound cards in the future?
--Assuming I get real time data out of my sound card (DirectX API or other), can I still use Measurement Studio for display, DSP, etc.?

Best Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,702 Views)
Hi Mark,

Because the CWDAQ control that comes with Measurement Studio is tightly integrated with the driver NI-DAQ (this driver supports most of the DAQ cards from National Instruments), it is useless if you have a third-party card. In the near future, it will still be true that the DAQ interface offered by Measurement Studio works exclusively with NI DAQ cards.
However, to answer your second question, you can still use all the other controls that come with Measurement Studio (eg, DSP, Datasocket, CWArray, etc). Once you get your data into the computer, you can definitely manipulate it with Measurement Studio tools.

Regards,
Azucena
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,702 Views)
Thanks, Azucena. I will try to do some programming...

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,702 Views)