Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calibration of thermocouples

Hello,

I was using the Ni 9213 along with NI USB 9162 to record data from thermocouples. Before beginning with my measurements i used the LabView Signal Express Calibration tool to ensure my thermocouples are calibrated to get the best results. I wanted to enquire if the calibration is performed for the channel on the NI 9213 or is it specific to one thermocouple.

Say I have calibrated a particular thermocouple and saved the project. In another project if i use the same channel for measurements with the same thermocouple do i need to perform a calibration again or does the previous calibration data hold good for that particular channel.

Thanks,

Roshan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,048 Views)

Hi Roshan,

I think it is not recommended to use the same configuration for different modules. Because you should enter the serial number for each sensor and you get the values exactly from your device. So not each device reacts 100% the same as the other, so I would recommend to calibrate each device separately. 

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,032 Views)

Hi Micheal,

Thanks for your reply. I think i understood what what you had to say. What i wanted to know in particular is the calibration wizard in LabView SIgnal Express, does the calibration differential values get saved in the hardware or is it saved only for the particular project in which the calibration is performed. Because everytime you open a new project, one has to select which thermocouples are connected in which channel and calibration must be performed again. So i guess its Project file specific. Hope you can clear this question i have.

Thanks

Roshan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,026 Views)

Hi Roshan,

I just talked with a colleague and we both think it is project specific because there is nothing saved to the hardware.

Regards,

Michael

NIG 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,017 Views)

Hi Micheal,

Thanks for your reply. Even I think that the settings for the calibration are project specific. So this would imply when i change the project, i could also change the thermocoulpes and use another calibration settings for them.

So by this, i could change thermocouples and use the same NI USB device in different projects with different calibration settings.

Hope you could sign off on this.

Thanks,

Roshan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,015 Views)

Hi Roshan,

yes I would agree to that. Because the settings are "saved" on the software you can use the 6221 device with different calibration settings in different projects.

Best regards,

Michael

NIG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,012 Views)

Hi Micheal,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't understand 6221 device??

Regards,

Roshan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,010 Views)

Sorry, your USB-device;-)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,008 Views)