From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRio-9074 Cannot find EtherCAT master adapter

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, In the past my project was running fine. Then, I restarted my computer to install some updates. Now, when I try to run my project, I get the following error: 

"The EtherCAT master adapter does not exist on the target controller. There are three possible reasons:

1:The NI-IndCom for EtherCAT software is not installed on the target: Use Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) to install the software.

2:No adapter is configured for EtherCAT: Configure the adapter in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX), and make sure one of the Ethernet adapters is configured to EtherCAT mode.

3:Offline adapter: Go to the properties page and change the adapter to an existing adapter or remove the master item from the project tree, and try again." I've tried to troubleshoot following the instructions that they provided(steps 1, 2, and 3 above), but was not able to identify the problem.

I've attached a photo of my project explorer. The green indicator light for cRio is turned off. I have tried right clicking on it and connecting, and I have also tried right clicking and restarting. Both attempts failed. 

If you have any ideas about what might be the problem, I'd really appreciate your help!

As another side note, it looks like my NI SoftMotion Module has expired on LabVIEW (see attached photo). I'm a beginner to this, so I don't know if that could be related to the problem in any way. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,529 Views)

Can you post a screenshot of the software installed to the controller (in MAX)? This would help confirm #1.

Also, when you're in MAX, can you confirm that the 2nd Ethernet port is configured to be an EtherCAT master (#2)?

If both those check out, I'd next try starting with a blank project, adding cRIO and EtherCAT, and deploying. If you still get the error, it's probably something with EtherCAT. If you don't, it's probably SoftMotion or something else specific to that original LabVIEW project.

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
Message 2 of 3
(3,507 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author al_p

Thanks so much for the help, Andrew! Yes, I believe that I missed something in NI-MAX. The ether-CAT software was installed (picture 1), but cRio was showing up as offline (picture 2). I turned off the power to my EtherCAT hardware, turned the power back on, and then refreshed cRio. Then, the EtherCAT showed up as online (picture 3). 

I was then able to go back to my LabView project, right click cRio and hit connect. It connected with no problem, and the green indicator light came on. I was able to run my program fine after that. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,494 Views)