From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Xilinx FPGA/CPLD targets (to the cRio)

I recently came across the single board cRios, having used the chassis mounted cRios extensively. Both essentially feature the same architecture; a processor running RT linux and a Xilinx FPGA. I like the way the hardware platforms are heading in allowing us to program using LabVIEW for FPGA targets in a relatively abstract and high level way, however the single board cRios are quite powerful and too large, complex and expensive to include in most consumer products.

Does anyone know if there is a way to deploy LV FPGA compilations to standalone Xilinx FPGAs/CPLDs, possibly using a dev board? Ideally the hardware would be able to be cleanly mapped in the project interface as it is with the cRio FPGAs, but I'll also settle for some workaround if I need to dump LabVIEW to VHDL or similar before deploying to a standalone FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,595 Views)

Unfortunately this isn't possible due to the fact that you still need a driver that communicates between LabVIEW and the FPGA.  Therefore you can only use NI FPGA hardware with LabVIEW code.   You must also take in account that you will have troubles to properly addressing hardware IO on a different FPGA since they are all customized differently.

If cost and size is the primary concern you could possibly look into the myRIO's which are considerably cheaper and much smaller in form factor.  

CC
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,544 Views)

Okay. Thanks for the tip. The myRio is closer to what I am after, but ideally NI and Xilinx will release an FPGA only hardware platform some time in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,539 Views)

For groups where NI hardware does not meet requirements, groups use LabVIEW FPGA and NI hardware to develop hardware prototypes and develop throughput/latency results.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,532 Views)

I've come across this company that offers an NI cRIO alternative that claims to support all of the cRIO modules.  http://en.mangotree.cn/p/73237/

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Steve Drouilhet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,955 Views)

This pocket rio product is very interesting. Do you know where they can be purchased?

I was pointed towards this, however afaik there is no way it'll ever be released:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Past-NIWeek-Sessions/Rapid-Development-of-Space-Applications-With-Honeywell...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,950 Views)

I just got my Pocket RIO. It took a little buggering around but I have it working in LV 2015 now (at least the FPGA functionality).

Let me know if anyone needs help getting it set up.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,775 Views)