Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Power Off Procedure for PXI RT Controller

I have NI PXI Real-Time Embedded Controller, PXI-8184. The RT controller is inside PXI-1044 chassis. When I turn on the chassis, the RT controller automatically starts booting. What I want to know is whether there is any turn-off procedure. I am afraid the harddisk or something might have damage if I suddenly turn off the chassis power.

Thank you in advance.

Jae Woong
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,940 Views)
Hello Jae,

With a RT controller there is no turn-off procedure. You can simply use the power switch on the chassis to turn it off and this would not affect your hard disk.

Regards,

Arun V
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,928 Views)
A quick warning that we found. If your system is writing to disk at the time that you power off, it may corrupt the file that you are writing or, even worse, the file allocation table. You could possibly lose all of the data on the hard drive if the FAT gets corrupted.

We have built our program so we can stop all code (including data logging) before turning off the PXI. This eliminates the "write to disk" problem.

Under normal circumstances, the chancces of actually damaging the FAT are pretty small (but it has happened here).

Rob
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,909 Views)