From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Random Ramblings on LabVIEW Design

Community Browser
Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swatts
2 Comments

In the previous article I promised to work on an article using the on-board micro-controller on a LattePanda, I'll mark myself as a solid 5/10 as Adrian stole the LattePanda to do some RS485 testing and enclosure work..

So I bought the same micro-controller and did the driver just on that - the NEXT article will be the on-board one, I promise.

Read more...

swatts
0 Comments

This article will document installing LabVIEW on OpenSUSE Linux on my tiny and cheap £25 PC off of Ebay. See the previous article for specs. The idea is to demonstrate how we can use Linux on small form factor (SFF) PCs as an embedded platform.

Read more...

swatts
4 Comments

In my ongoing series of trying to stick LabVIEW onto small embedded platforms I had a LattePanda V1 land on my desk. So let's stick OpenSUSE on it an see if we can make it work.

Read more...

swatts
3 Comments

More of my customers/jobs are wanting to use LabVIEW with Linux. As part of our Community Training Initiative we need to load LabVIEW and Drivers onto Linux, and it wasn't seamless. But the results were really impressive after a bit of work. So here we will go through various different distros and see what the install experience and performance is like on VM and on a tiny old computer.

Read more...

swatts
5 Comments

It's time for me time.

Read more...

swatts
5 Comments

The prototype course is nearly ready! Website coming, we have a logo, VM ready to download!, testing on-going.... it's all going on in the world of Community Training. So time for me to give some thanks.

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

Been a busy chap of late, but progress has been made.

I'll keep it as brief as possible.

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

That's how many impressions there have been on this blog, and that's a lot.

Read more...

swatts
0 Comments

Prior to my excellent trip to GDevConNA I wrote an article about a LabVIEW Community Training Initiative...

Here's my progress report.

Read more...

swatts
4 Comments

I described the LabVIEW eco-system in an article last year (Nov 2022), and in the last CSLUG meeting I explored where the gaps were. Some of the discussions from that has got me to thinking about having some form of community based training.

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

DSH Workshops is coming to the USA in a month!!

Here's our itinerary and lots of details and a few surprises.

Read more...

swatts
7 Comments

I've been programming for around 40 years and my job has been at risk for around 40 of those years.... I now think I understand the tension in the system, and how it makes for poor management, processes and designs.

Read more...

swatts
38 Comments

You don't have to work hard 100% of the time, in fact it's not good for the creative mind...

Read more...

swatts
4 Comments

20 years ago we published "A Software Engineering Approach to LabVIEW", and I vowed not to write another book... well, never say never I guess

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

Let's have a look back at one SSDCs best years ever....

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

If you are familiar with my witterings you will be aware of the terms coupling and cohesion. Because my brain is attuned to thinking in this fashion I've noticed that they apply to other things too....

Read more...

swatts
5 Comments

As promised this article will look at my thoughts for events (these are only my thoughts and not GDevCons, SSDCs, NIs), also they are not fixed ideas. I'm very much interested in what other people are interested in and stick any ideas in the comments.

Read more...

swatts
5 Comments

In the last blog I talked about the importance of self-determination as one of the important reasons for starting organisations like GDevCon. I thought this article might be a good place to do a brain dump on the LabVIEW Eco-system.

Read more...

swatts
1 Comment

Now is a good time to think about what we want for our community, here's my slightly strange take...

Read more...

swatts
22 Comments

In the previous article I described why I want my software designs to help me with debugging. In this article I'll talk about the techniques we use to make our designs easy to debug during and after development.

Read more...

swatts
17 Comments

As I've discussed before LabVIEW is great for debugging, why is debugging so important to me?

Read more...

swatts
0 Comments

With a new variant of COVID running riot it may seem that things are as dark as this time last year, I see reasons to be optimistic.

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

I'm thinking of starting a series of articles on interesting projects using LabVIEW that demonstrate its capabilities. DM me if you want to submit something (you'll be interviewed and an article written if it fulfils one of the criteria described below).

Articles will be need to be approved by the interviewee in writing before they are published.

Read more...

swatts
0 Comments

I've been using my open document toolkit with a number of years now and it's been very handy. Well now it is even handier!

Read more...

swatts
10 Comments

I don't have a lot of spare time or energy currently to push out material into the community.

One low effort way I could do something is a Zoom Ask Me Anything Session...

Would anyone be interested in that?

Read more...

swatts
19 Comments

This seems to affect a lot of programmers and if you knew my history you may think I should really suffer from it, but I don't. Is it irredeemable arrogance and can it be taught?

Read more...

swatts
10 Comments

A general talk about happiness and why it's important for creatives....

Read more...

swatts
8 Comments

During a very enjoyable flurry of DSH Workshops last week a theme began to appear, in this article I'll talk about it and why I think it is important.

Read more...

swatts
6 Comments

The main purpose of Software Design is to break a large problem into smaller more manageable problems. Up until now we've concentrated on actual Computer Science based design techniques and metrics like Coupling, Cohesion and various other principles. We also apply heuristics like globals=bad or a block diagram should be a single page.....

I think there is a concept specific to graphical programming and it's to do with block diagram time.

Read more...