Community Browser
Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swatts
17 Comments

Last week I had a couple of conversations about LabVIEW that made me sad. To protect the peeps conversing I'll not go into too much detail of their situations.......

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

Because my preview of for 2020 was such a resounding failure, I thought I would have a bash at previewing 2021!

Read more...

swatts
4 Comments

A look back on 2020 for SSDC, GDevCon, CSLUG and DSH Workshops.

Read more...

swatts
4 Comments

Here's how to take Dr James Powells wonderful SQLite toolkit and do encrypted stuff with it.....

Read more...

swatts
0 Comments

I'm guilty of doing this too, so apologies up-front...

Read more...

swatts
21 Comments

The computer science terms are cohesion and Single Responsibility Principle, but there's something missing in the definitions. I'll explain....

Read more...

swatts
4 Comments

Had nearly 60 attendees for this session with some excellent comments and some lovely feedback, it's really appreciated.

This article will be the place to pickup some examples, with explanations. There will also be a link to the video of the session for those that could not attend.

I'll also muse what to do next, if anything.

Read more...

Download All
swatts
0 Comments

I think databases are an essential skill for a software designer. Similar to my LabVIEW UI playtime, who fancies attending a LabVIEW dB playtime?

I'm doing it 18:00 Tues Aug 11th (BST). More details in main text.

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

I'm going to start a series of articles prefixed a A Good Design and use it as a mechanism to illustrate various design concepts.

To start the ball rolling let's look at a self explanatory design.

Read more...

swatts
6 Comments

We had a nice little group for the session, with some excellent questions.

This article will be the place to pickup some examples, with explanations. There will also be a link to the video of the session for those that could not attend.

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

I've not done a get together for a while, so why not join me on July 15th (13:00-14:00 BST) for a mess about with User Interface stuff.

I'll keep the agenda to myself for now.....

Read more...

swatts
6 Comments

They've gone and changed the wallpaper around here, but I think there is more to it than that. Here's what I think.

Read more...

swatts
0 Comments

VIWeek is done, and the thing we made turned out good. I'll open up about my motivation and how I felt about the event.

NOTE: We are planning a pukka post-mortem of the event with all the volunteers, this is not this!

Read more...

swatts
75 Comments

As the postponed NIWeek fast approaches my DSH friends thought it would be nice to mark the occasion by putting on some virtual meetings and this idea blossomed somewhat. This here will be the rough agenda for #VIWeek, come join us..

799px-VIWeek_Logo_and_Title.png

And keep checking back, the agenda will hopefully get filled up over this week.

Read more...

swatts
10 Comments

If enough people are interested I can do a webex session on my ODF tools and ODF file structures. I've found these incredibly useful with the capability to generate reports and spreadsheets from RT as well as auto-generation of internal documents and customer reports.

Read more...

swatts
13 Comments

We've had some nice feedback on our general template design, including our way of doing state-machines. Which is an unexpected pleasure in these ugly times. The best thing about the feedback is that the feedbackers explain why the design worked in language not our own. And that gets my brain going....

Read more...

swatts
10 Comments

Something a little different for this article, we have a guest writer!. My colleague at DSH Workshops Joerg Hampel discussing how he took my State Machine stuff and made a lovely PlantUML visualisation tool for it (also made it using user events rather than queues). It's pretty damned cool..

Read more...

swatts
3 Comments

There is a lot more talk about design reviews, code reviews and project postmortems and that is brilliant. Some of what I hear is slightly inaccurate and this article seeks to clarify..

Read more...

swatts
0 Comments

Sometimes it's easier to dump design decisions on your users than to try and write code to satisfy complex and conflicting requirements

Here's some techniques we use.... and a little gift

Read more...

Download All
swatts
8 Comments

Over the years we have made a lot of systems, I thought I'd share some of the useful circuits we've delivered as part of them.

This first one was used as a battery back-up for a monitoring system monitoring Azipods on ships..... read on to find out what an Azipod is.

Read more...

swatts
4 Comments

Company Announcement: SSDC has become an NI Center of Excellence!

national_instruments_coe.jpg

What does that mean then?

Read more...

swatts
9 Comments

Here's how we use databases at SSDC (if we're left to our own devices). Talking SQLite and MySQL here.

05-Feb-2020 Added MySQL TCP Driver LabVIEW 2015 - Example.vi shows example connecting to an open dB

Read more...

swatts
4 Comments

On 1st January 2000 I joined SSDC, here's what's happened in the last 20 years....

Read more...

swatts
3 Comments

Let's see what we have in store for 2020 shall we...

Read more...

swatts
2 Comments

For more information please reread the title

Read more...

swatts
11 Comments

I'm old and here's my take on it....There's some very sound advice in here.

Read more...

swatts
7 Comments

Something I have noticed in the world of computer science and process management. Talking to friends in nutritional science and sports psychology it appears this thing is common.

Read more...

swatts
9 Comments

You MUST provide a full set of requirements and changes later on are terrible, expensive and will cause over-runs!

Really?

I mean Really?

Read more...

swatts
9 Comments

I know it's a bit counter-intuitive, but I think this may be one of the more important concepts in my lil' blog.

Read more...

swatts
0 Comments

While we wait for the vids to be edited I thought I should put the presentation in article form here.

The example code and eventually the video will be put here too.

Read more...

Download All