From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Random Ramblings on LabVIEW Design

Community Browser
Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swatts
0 Comments

I'm getting that end of term feeling early, damn I need a holiday!

First off if you want to read a proper blog pop over to Mr Roebucks place and let him persuade you to present at the Euro CLA summit, it's being held up the Eiffel Tower in March next year. (Disclaimer: that may not be true)

http://walkingthewires.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/european-cla-summit-call-for-submissions/

So rather than do any work I'm going to list out what I've currently got in the pipeline.....

Design is not black and white!

This uses some of the material from my design course to illustrate the difference and consequence of bad design compared to adequate design.

Block Diagrams

Discusses the importance of the block diagram to the design, sounds simple doesn't it?, but actually I'm digging deep into some of the ways of designing code in LabVIEW nowadays.

User Interfaces

Looks bad smells bad!

Need I say more?

LVOOP

I'm a slow adopter, now I think I've got it! Thankyou Mr Mercer you clever thing you! Expect something on Actor Framework in 2017.

Abstraction

When you do OOP or LCOD or any modular design, you use abstraction to pick your classes, components, modules or VIs. These design decisions are important!

Complexity and Scaleability

Sometimes programmers will make their code complex to improve scaleability, I'm not going to ruin the end of this one.....

IF NOT easy AND NOT AND simple OR NOT understandable=COMPLEX LOGIC!

My favourite code smell, I like it because sometimes I feel as LabVIEW is encouraging me to do it. Don't listen to that little red LabVIEW demon!

Control Coupling

There are various things that make code complex, this is one of the most important with regard current LabVIEW design techniques.

Coupling, Cohesion and your State Machine

The very things that affect your design with regard to modules can and should also be applied to state machines and their transition mechanisms.

But I really need to spend some time writing Laboratory Managment Software, Research Measurement Systems, Helicopter filter testing and trying to sort out my new interest http://whitchurchsilkmill.org.uk/mill/index.php

See you in the New Year and may your code be stress free

Lots of Love

Steve