cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: #VIWeek (Making Trouble Again)

swatts
Active Participant

Hello Disease Avoiders (hopefully),

I hope you are keeping fit both physically and mentally.

My DSH friends and I decided to announce some on-line events to coincide with NIWeek (17th May to 21st May) and the idea has blossomed somewhat. We now have quite a few volunteers and a fantastic hashtag/name courtesy of Chris Stryker...........#VIWeek.

NEWS ---> Re-certification by points - 10 pts for attending VIWeek and 20 pts for presenting...isn't that nice of NI!

800px-VIWeek_Logo,_Title,_and_Tagline.png

So this page will be our VIWeek agenda but check out the LabVIEWwiki and the excellent page by Derrick Bommarito, it's very much more user friendly.

https://labviewwiki.org/wiki/Home

VIWeek Landing Page

Discord Channel thanks to Michal Radziwon

We can fill the slots on a first-come first served basis. I think people can host their own events (I use webex and it costs £15 a month) and it works fine.

I'll put some other tips at the end.

Agenda - Keep Checking Back

Contact the Session Host to get a link

Sunday 17th May 

7-8am PDT, 9-10am CDT, 3-4pm BST, 4-5pm CEST

GCentral: State of the Union and Rolling Up Your Sleeves 

Chris Cilino

GCentral is a non profit organization founded in late 2019. The vision: a LabVIEW community empowered to make the best version of itself. The mission: reduce/remove barriers to collaboration. In this presentation, we'll introduce you to GCentral and give a progress update. And we'll show you how we can all work together to make GCentral a reality.

Youtube Link: https://bit.ly/VIWeek_GCentralPresentation

info@gcentral.org

9-10 PDT, 11-12noon CDT, 5-6pm BST, 6-7pm CEST 

Do the survey suckers - here

LabVIEW FPGA for high throughput applications

Terry Stratoudakis

Microsoft Teams link: Register /Join

terry@aleconsultants.com

11-12 PDT, 1-2pm CDT, 7-8pm BST, 8-9pm CEST

Functional programming inspired object-oriented template in LabVIEW + SOLID

Piotr Kruczkowski

Teams Link

Monday 18th May 

DSH #VIWeek Pragmatic SW Engineering
Join us and fight the NIWeek blues. In this one-hour event, we (the whole DSH gang: Fab, Steve, Joerg and Brian) will be:
- talking about who we are and what we do
- asking you about your needs and pain points
- answering any questions you might have

email hello@dsh-workshops.com

Philosophy of Coding - How to be a CraftsPerson.

Sam Taggart

A discussion of how what we value and the way we think about the process of developing software affects the end result. No LabVIEW code, just a high level discussion of software engineering. I've got a short presentation on our values at SAS and how we approach software development. I'll give that and I'd like to get some feedback. Then I'd like to have a discussion and ask the audience some questions like, what software qualities are important to you? What processes do you think are critical to ensuring software quality? What quality is most important in a junior engineer? How can we do a better job of training junior engineers?

Register

Confessions of a Retired Superhero

Matt Pollock

Crazy projects demand crazy solutions.  Crazy solutions create crazy bugs.  Come learn from spectacular failures (or near failures) that have threatened to torpedo other projects so yours will be safe from heroics.

Teams Link

Tuesday 19th May 

Proper way to communicate over serial.

Tim Robinson

Too many users look to the Simple Serial Write Read example in LabVIEW and then struggle to achieve solid, robust communication with their instrument. This is because the example does not properly discuss or handle any of the real-world communication schemes instruments use. At this session, explore these schemes and learn how to handle each case.

Raspberry Pi / LABVIEW Community Edition and Sensors
Sam Sharp

Sam will demonstrate/show how to get started programming the Raspberry Pi using the LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition with a live/practical demo. He'll then expand this to show off his open-source library of drivers for a range of off-the-shelf sensors/hats so you can connect your Raspberry Pi to the physical world.

Webex Link:Register /Join

sam@mediamongrels.com

Linx Toolkit & Raspberry Pi for Intermediate Robotics

Derrick Bommarito

I'll be demonstrating how I've used the updated Linx Toolkit for LabVIEW Community Edition to develop remote control and autonomous rovers using the Raspberry Pi along with a handful of sensors. We'll take a look at the high level architecture of the software along with the open source libraries I'm developing that target autonomous robotics projects. We'll also discuss how you can accomplish better performance for more demanding projects by developing custom firmware for arduino clones instead of using the Linx toolkit to interface to microcontrollers.

https://bit.ly/neg-live

negentropicdev@gmail.com

1-2pm PDT, 3-5pm CDT, 9-10pm BST, 10-11pm CEST

Build Flexible FPGA-Based Systems with LabVIEW FPGA Advanced Sessions

Cyril Gambini

Creating an FPGA-based acquisition and control system is challenging if the hardware target changes and the bitfiles to load are completely different from one target to the next. Learn how you can handle completely different FPGA personalities within the same application using LabVIEW FPGA Advanced Session Resources.

At this session, explore a VeriStand distributed DAQ system featuring multiple CompactRIO devices configured differently based on the test to perform (analyzing the electrical and mechanical behaviors of alternators) and the test’s measurement requirements (currently more than 20 different configurations across four target references).

Email:cgambini@neosoft.ca

Teams Link Join

2-3pm PDT, 4-5pm CDT, 10-11pm BST, 11-12pm CEST

8 Reasons for encapsulating your next device driver inside a DQMH module

Christopher Farmer

Do you hate it when software throws an awful error if a device is not connected, and it just stops or crashes as a result? Do you have multiple instances of the same device that you need to manage? Do you find that your applications get so cluttered with code specific to managing devices? Do you like to see what a device is up to “under the hood” whilst you run an automated sequence? If you’re facing any of these challenges, then we’re confident this presentation will help you! Using a DQMH module to encapsulate your next device driver will eliminate these issues. Register below to learn how.

Register

Wednesday 20th May 

DSH DQMH 5.0 Introduction

Fab, Joerg
Hear it directly from the horse's mouth!
Learn what's new in DQMH 5.0. In this one-hour event, we (Fabiola and Joerg) will walk you through the new features of DQMH 5.0. We'll also give insights into how these features actually help with our daily work.

Overflow Youtube Stream

'Efficient Programming in LabVIEW'

Tom McQuillan
In this session, I'm going to showcase Project Templates.
After choosing to go down a DQMH route for a project (after being a hardcore Actor Framework user), I realized there were certain aspects of AF I missed. Namely, the ability to reuse messages between modules. In this session, I will showcase a solution to this using Project Templates and how templates could be used for your modular applications.
I'll also showcase some scripting tools that were possible using templates.

Thomas.mcquillan@scientifica.uk.com

10-11am PDT, 12-1pm CDT, 6-7pm BST, 7-8pm CEST

Graphical programming beyond G - Use case of LabVIEW integration with Node-RED

Michal Radziwon

Dataflow programming is not only about G and LabVIEW! There is more and more of other platforms that uses graphical programming and one of them is Node-RED.

Node-RED is a programming tool build to ease connecting and automating IoT enabled devices, APIs, and web-services. I will show a use case of integrating LabVIEW with Node-RED using MQTT server - all running on a Raspberry Pi.

Register

radziwon@purpravn.com

Using a Message Broker with DQMH Actors for High Speed/Throughput Data logging

Chris Roebuck and Becky Linton

Tasked with creating a hardware agnostic, highly configurable, high-throughput data logger for ADAS applications we implemented the Mediator pattern using multiple modified-DQMH actors with a message broker. In this session we will review the requirements, high level design objectives and review the solution and take a deeper dive in to some of the specific technologies used such as malleable VIs, eDVRs and Message Brokers.

b.linton@konrad-technologies.com,c.roebuck@konrad-technologies.co.uk

Teams Link :

6-7pm PDT, 8-9pm CDT 

(Thursday 21 May 9-10am SGT, 11am-12pm AEST)

8 Reasons for encapsulating your next device driver inside a DQMH module

Christopher Farmer

Do you hate it when software throws an awful error if a device is not connected, and it just stops or crashes as a result? Do you have multiple instances of the same device that you need to manage? Do you find that your applications get so cluttered with code specific to managing devices? Do you like to see what a device is up to “under the hood” whilst you run an automated sequence? If you’re facing any of these challenges, then we’re confident this presentation will help you! Using a DQMH module to encapsulate your next device driver will eliminate these issues. Register below to learn how.

Register

Thursday 21st May 

CEF (configuration editor framework)

Sreejith Sreenivasan and Vikas Koujalagi

Configuration files are commonly used to specify application settings and hardware configuration. Manual editing of some of the complex configuration files of hardware systems or applications are often error prone. Shipping a configuration editor can ease the pain but development overheads may outweigh the benefits.

Configuration Editor Framework (CEF) from NI Systems Engineering is a versatile framework allowing rapid development of such editors. Development generally take hours instead of days or weeks. This presentation delves in to the features and walks through an example which saves the files in JSON format.

MS Teams Meeting Link: https://bit.ly/VIWEEK_NICEF

sreejith@multics.co.uk

Using the new TLS/SSL functions in LabVIEW 2020
Sam Sharp

Sam will go through the newly added SSL/TLS functions in LabVIEW 2020 which enables secure TCP/IP communications in LabVIEW. This session should provide enough information to be able to implement secure TCP/IP communications in your own applications and learn why you should. He'll also demonstrate an update to his WebSockets library that enables secure WebSockets (wss://) support - a highly requested feature now possible with LabVIEW 2020.

Webex Link: Register /Join

sam@mediamongrels.com

DSH Soft Skills for Software Engineers Discussion

Steve and anyone else who wants to join

It won't be the presentation I intended to do, more of a chat really.

Friday 22nd May 

AristosQ suggests you check this vid out as an intro before this session - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQU3eM0yLMk&feature=youtu.be

or https://t.co/XUZKvffDUM?amp=1

#VIWeek – Open Your Instruments With A G Interfaces HAL In LV2020 (No Lever Tool Required!!)

Jonathan Hird (Jono)

The recent release of LV2020 Community edition has opened up the new capability of “Interfaces” into the LVOOP world. I for one am incredibly excited about what this means specifically for Hardware Abstraction Layers. After some initial trudging through the mud and not quite seeing the value in interfaces for my specific needs for a HAL, I decided to scrap what I had, start from scratch and work logically to put together an example of a “Real World” HAL application. In this session we will briefly cover the Why, What and How of HALs and how interfaces may help along with some sample code which will be uploaded for community use as a good starting point.

Teams Meeting Link

The Core Framework.

Denis Stavila

It's something that I built on top of the Actor Framework and aims at solving several shortcomings that I believe AF has ... plus a lot of tweaks and built-in functionality to make the life of a developer much easier:

• Internal broadcast system
  • Debugging/Monitoring tools
  • UI structuring and configuration
  • Interface-Like implementation for modules communication
  • User Access tools .... etc.

I started working on this framework basically the moment I faced my first project with AF ... I would like to show you what problems I encountered, how I attempted to solve them and what I wanted to achieve with it.

Teams Link : Join

Mock Object Framework

Sam Taggart

I will present an open source tool for creating Mock objects and show how to use them in tests. It will be an informal kind of code review thing. I might put together a few slides on what Mock Objects are so we are all on the same page. After that I will just start with defining the problem and then how I came up with the solution. We will spend a lot of time just looking at the code.

Register

Saturday 23rd May 

Fast and Simple Unit Testing with Caraya 1.0

Francois Normandin, Jim Kring

Almost everyone writes code to test their code. Caraya, a unit test framework for LabVIEW, makes it simple to turn those test VIs into unit tests that can be reused throughout the life of the project. With a focus on ease of use and lightning fast execution time, Caraya allows you to write and run tests without adding much overhead to your development work. Come see how you can create and run a test in under a minute, run all the tests in your project with a simple QuickDrop shortcut, and integrate your tests into a fully-automated build and deploy process. You’ll also learn about advanced features like running tests on real-time targets, creating custom test report formats, and more!

Register

Contact me for changing the agenda, it's only my first guess and I'm missing all the eastern time-zones. TBH anything goes.

Tips for Hosting Events (based on my tiny amount of experience)

• Have a moderator to field questions in chat, that way you only need keep 2 microphones open.

• Kill non-presenters mics and screens when you are presenting, open up for discussions.

• Tell people the rules before you start.

• Don't spend ages preparing, free-form works fine in this environment. Scripted presentations come across as being a bit flat and dull IMO.

• Switch off desktop icons (believe it or not I didn't know you could do this until Fab told me)

• Remote seems to work well with demos and software reviews
  • Use the hashtag #VIWeek

Any other tips people can think of?

Hopefully this will keep us amused in May

Lots of Love

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments
DerrickB
NI Employee (retired)

@crossrulz I may have gotten a little ahead of myself in promoting VIWeek...

crossrulz
Knight of NI

DerrickB,

Yeah, I was hesitant to promote too much.  But I am currently up to 43.  Steve is telling me his sessions are about the same.  So I consider this a great turnout for something that was mostly randomly put together in about a week.  If we do this again, we could break the internet.

If nothing else, I'm learning all kinds of remote meeting applications (WebEx, Teams, Zoom, I didn't want to risk my company's Skype For Business).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Don't be hesitant. Be bold. This is a golden opportunity -- every community out in the world is trying something new, and users are very forgiving of tech difficulties at the moment. I had one week to promote the session I and Allen did on Intro To G Interfaces, running on a platform no one involved had tried before externally. I'll give you your target to beat: G Interfaces had 539 attendees. You still have a weekend, and you can build up for end-of-week sessions. Go for it!

DerrickB
NI Employee (retired)

Oh yeah that's why I enlisted some ad support from NI on LinkedIn and Twitter though I'm not suffering through gobs of emails requesting registration.

I already have bold ideas for further pursuits if people are interested. Stuff like central registration management, intro surveys for sessions, opt-in options in those surveys for reaching out for more info from the presenters, maybe followup at the end. Stuff that would hopefully make presenters and attendees' lives easier. The only question for something bigger like I have in mind would be unifying access to the presentations for the attendees so they don't have to bounce from meeting app to meeting app.

Terry_ALE
Active Participant

I like this.  I came up with a survey for my talk which many have responded to but will post during the talk and maybe before.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Chris_Cilino
Active Participant

Totally agree with the survey. One of our "calls to action" is to take the GCentral survey. I highly recommend having a "call to action" where you point people to a resource where they can give feedback, learn more, or continue the conversation with you or other people interested in the topic. 

FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

Derrick, 

There are already apps that do integrate the whole virtual conference aspect into a single place. I have used https://hopin.to/ as an attendee at two online conferences. It is still in Beta and I couldn't get enough information in time for #VIWeek. I think what you have put together is marvelous for this thing that we organized in less than 2 weeks! If we were to do this again, we could use Hopin next time. Or, check it out and you may create something better than what they have.

Whatever comes out of VIweek it is already awesome, it proved that the LabVIEW Community is alive and well. That we can come together and make something like this happen. We will all find our way throughout next week.

Thanks again to everyone and "see you" next week!

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
swatts
Active Participant

I agree,

I think we have done our own little Woodstock (thanks Terry), the thing is that there is now something where there was nothing.

Making stuff is fun.

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Fabiola wrote:

> If we were to do this again, we could...

#NextPandemic

🙂

FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

@AristosQueue wrote

Fabiola wrote:

> If we were to do this again, we could...

#NextPandemic

🙂

Don't even joke about it, one every 100 years seems like too often already 

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Mradziwo

So here it comes:

https://discord.gg/vjTyxxj

Join and let's start discussions.

When asked to claim account you can just click anywhere outside the pop-up and you will join hassle free.

There is a channel dedicated for each topic, as well as a general lobby. Session topics are disabled until ~1 h before the start.

Let me know if you will spot some issues there.

There may be some help needed to keep it nice and tidy - reach me if you would like to get moderator permissions.

"></a>
Chris_Cilino
Active Participant

Should I mention the Discord link in the intro to VIWeek? I've put a link in the description of GCentral's presentation. 

ChrisStrykesAgain
Active Participant

This is the discord link that worked for me: https://discord.gg/qppjz8p

The "corrected" one (and the one linked from the top) showed as invalid for some reason.

--------------------------------------
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I'm really annoyed I missed the High-Throughput FPGA presentation.

Anyone got a video or slides?

nvm, I'll just follow the discord infos.

BTW, great way to collaborate across the globe guys. I like it.

FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

@Intaris,

I asked Terry and he said he will eventually share the video. Also, some of the videos will be embedded into the LabVIEWWiki page for the event.

Terry_ALE
Active Participant

High-Throughput FPGA video will be posted on youtube.  I will share it with LabVIEW wiki, here, discord, etc.

ALE Consultants

MichaelAivaliotis
Active Participant

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
styrum

How many sessions do we need to attend to earn the recertification points? I already missed some and interested only in some of the upcoming.

styrum

I missed Proper way to communicate over serial. Can I see a recording of it anywhere?

crossrulz
Knight of NI

styrum,

I just need Q or Michael tell me were to dump the recording.  It should then be available through the LabVIEW Wiki.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Terry_ALE
Active Participant

LabVIEW FPGA for High Throughput Applications, Terry Stratoudakis, VI Week 2020 has been posted:

ALE Consultants

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Thanks Terry, I enjoyed the presentation a lot.

I would also add to the comment Re. multiple compiles. Sometimes when you're approaching the limit of what the hardware can hold (due to functionality, not bad programming. I promise...) multiple compiles can help. Even if you have a 95% success rate, start two compiles, trust me. It saves time.

Terry_ALE
Active Participant

Thanks Intaris.  It may have not been clear in the presentation but agreed, more than 1 simultaneous compiles is what we do as well.

ALE Consultants

francois-normandin

Amazing work getting this organized.

Thanks to the DSH bunch, Derrick, Michal and all the others that pitched in with wiki, videos, etc.

I was supposed to be at NI Week presenting about Interfaces, and this whole pandemic situation flipped everything on its head, not just by having all those events cancelled, but by making sure I didn't have any time to prepare for my presentation. You see, I'm a federal government employee in Canada and I happen to be working on development of an instrument that does genotyping, digital droplet PCR, library preparations and all sorts of cool microfluidics manipulations. It turns out that the research group I'm part of is heavily involved now with the Canadian Pandemic Response. So much for me having time at home to prepare my presentation! I completely let go of the idea to prepare it in case something would be announced online by NI, as busy as I've ever been.

So VIWeek is a blessing. I didn't get to see most of the presentations live, but I'm super grateful that they have all been recorded and that I will get to binge watch them all at my pace. I'm also thrilled that there was at least one about Interfaces in G! The community really came through with this whole VIWeek.

Kudos, kudos, kudos.

GCentral ChampionCLA
swatts
Active Participant

That comment has made my day, thanks mate

Steve

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile