Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Review of the year 2016

swatts
Active Participant

I guess a festive look back is in order.

As the cloud of stupid spreads scarily across the globe we say goodbye to 2016, and the best thing that can be said about 2016 and world politics is that I expect 2017 will be worse so gird yourselves.

Here at the SSDC Barn or Engineering Excellence things are going quite well. 

Projects

Ferry Alarm Systems

1 ship down and certified by Lloyds Register, 2 new ships ordered. Adrian has done exemplary work on this.

The potential for this project is immense. We've barely scratched the surface on this bad-boy.

SingleShot

This project is taking some interesting twists and turns. I needed some form of Return on Investment to justify going to NIWeek this year and it looks as if we may get it. Certainly to a large enough extent to justify another trip to Austin next year. 

Can't speak publicly about it yet.

Now it's being used in 3 countries, which isn't bad.

Ship Machine Monitoring

Designed, fitted and working in 1 month. Very nice work and again this has great potential for the future. Having ISO9000 really helped us get this type of job. It was a nice vindication for the effort put in.

Hydraulic Controller

This has been sucking up a lot of hours over the last few months, all the considerable project time was frittered away and we were brought in with nothing to salvage 6 weeks from delivery date. It's difficult to shine in these circumstances. We're doing our best.....

Laboratory Management Systems

Lot's of upgrades for performance, back-up and new types of dosemeters. Been keeping me busy for years now.

Test Systems

We've tested helicopter engines, batteries, power supplies and pressure switches. 

Trips

LabVIEW has taken me to Holland, Dunkirk (France) and Austin this year. I missed the CLA Summit and that sucked, but we went to NIWeek and that was good fun. I did 2 presentations so earnt my tickets I think.

CSLUG

Been a very good year for the group, it's something I'm quite proud of and it's a real team effort. So KUDOS to everyone at CSLUG. Highlight was the UG track at NIDays a grand day out.

Favorite Song

Thing That Made Me Laugh

That's my dog that is!

Thing That Made Me Sad

That bigotry seems to be socially acceptable now, and not thought of as the ridiculous behaviour of scared and weak-minded bullies, as it should be!

Favorite Bit of My Code of the Year

My ODF tool has proven very useful. Someone elses? I'm liking the look of James Powells JSON Toolkit. His SQLite toolkit is already embedded in our template.

Favorite Comment of The Year

joerg.hampel and his comment on LabVIEW Life Lessons #3 - Work Without Fear

Thanks for all your comments, they are always appreciated.

Lots of Love and have some time off, go on, you know you deserve it.

Steve

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

Dear Steve,

Happy New Year!

May 2017 be full of successes, nice surprises, light and lots of love.

Looking forward to what you come up with this year.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?