Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Document Text Document

swatts
Active Participant

What-ho Wire Wrestlers.

I had two other options for this article

1. A discussion about the poor sods who get thrown onto complex projects undercooked and what can be done to educate project managers about the value of employing experience. I've witnessed this a few times this year.
  2. Open up the design of the API for the ODS tool. It's working rather nicely in my application, but I know it's not sorted yet.

Or alternatively I could leave the ODS API half-cooked and I'm not in the mood to grizzle. So instead I'm going to talk about ODTs

ODTs are the output of Open Document Word Processors, including newer versions of Microsoft Word, Open-Office Writer and LibreOffice Writer.

Before I plough in and do the hard work I thought it might be good to request some input from other users.

Here's one use-case that would be marvellous for me.

IssueReport.png

Here I have my bug reporting tool, when I press commit I would like it to generate an issue report document, with all the details filled in for me. This would be way better than my current "Issue Saved" dialog confirmation.

Using a similar model to the one I employed for the spreadsheet I could load a template and update it.

Luckily both Word and Openoffice offer bookmarking facilities. We could organise our template with various bookmarks and then offer methods to insert things at the book mark point. In ODS I have fathomed tables, Images are just links and the images go into a directory called ..\Configurations2\images\Bitmaps, text is a direct replacement.

Main page data goes in content.xml

Header and Footer info goes into styles.xml so I would need to search that for bookmarks too.

The bookmark tags come in two flavours.

<text:bookmark text:name="headerbookmark"/> <--- this is just a single place point and your insertion goes either at the end or the beginning of this tag.

<text:bookmark-start text:name="my2ndbookmark"/>ddd<text:bookmark-end text:name="my2ndbookmark"/> <--- this is a range of text that should be replaced by whatever is inserted.

The only additional facility that I can think that will be useful is the ability to duplicate pages.

Here's the updated (version D1:01) example program screen

ODFExampleScreen.jpg

This demonstrates both ODS and ODT generation.

Here's another instance where I could use this type of functionality.

Document.png

I generate a new document number for a project using this little utility, it would be splendid if it actually generated the document all numbered and dated.

Is there any other use-cases that would be handy?

Leave words of wisdom in the comments please.

Much Love

Steve

04-May-2016 added ODF toolkit, this purely replaces/insert text into a template and saves the template, as a bonus there's a bit that then converts the ODT file to a PDF if you have LibreOffice (probably works with OpenOffice too). Created file works with Word too. Questions and use cases into the comments please. ODTExample.vi shows usage. Video to follow...

06-May-2016 Made the text entered XML safe (as far as I know) for ODS and ODT

19-05-2016 D1:01 added version numbering and prettied up the example, tested with provided templates and works OK. Used LibreOffice 5 for the pdf printing

08-06-2016 D1:02 ODTGetBookmarks removed table of contents "RefHeadings" bookmarks LV2014

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments