From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Random Ramblings on LabVIEW Design

Community Browser
Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mildly Offensive Corporate Wear

swatts
Active Participant

Nothing too serious this time my lovelies as your brains are full of NIWeek stuff.

One of the things on my strange bucket list is to produce a range of corporate wear as a reaction to polo shirts with slogans such as "Delighting our customers with our passionate approach to LabVIEW solutions" or some such!....

Metrics.PNG

This one has my favorite software related cartoon, I designed it as a prize for the European CLA summit 2013 (limited run of 3, ahhhhh Paris in the spring..)

Lego.PNG

This one I designed as a joke to be worn at a specific company in front of a specific manager. (limited run of 2)

Fab.PNG

For this one I doctored the original list of names for LabVIEW, Can only be worn by people called Fabiola....or maybe Fabian. (Limited run of 1)

Spexy.png

Just promoting the new book, and everyone should look Spexy! (limited run of zero)

I have an extremely offensive one in my mind that involves QR codes, maybe for NIDays this year, but I'll probably chicken out, Got 2 others in the pipeline too, will post them when I've done them.

On previous blogs it was suggested that we must be doing something with action engines that others aren't and it got me thinking.....

All of our components (action engines) are designed with an understanding of coupling, cohesion and information hiding. A great deal of our book was dedicated to this subject, rather than just describing a technique. Now if you just use a technique with no comprehension of what makes a good component, state machine, class, actor etc etc I'm guessing you'll run into trouble. Another consideration is that where possible we base our components on real world objects and steer clear of abstract software constructs (for example we toyed with communication layer components for test systems and stepped away from them because they lacked clarity of design). From a coupling point of view we try to minimise communication paths and reduce dependencies, while still trying to get the block diagram to clearly represent the problem domain.

I'll keep on mulling this one over I think.

Reading Robert Glass book at the moment and in it is this quote (no-one credited for it).

Reality is the murder of a beautiful theory by a gang of ugly facts

I think it is rather apt when applied to software design.

Lots of Love

Steve

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I heard about the FabVIEW one from Jeff during NI Week.  Wish I was able to see it in person.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
swatts
Active Participant

It's limited edition in more ways than one, I suspect it won't survive many washes!

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

WTF, man! It's "fewer WTFs" not "less WTFs"!

swatts
Active Participant

1st laugh of the day!, blame my bad grammar on the English/Welsh education system, good at turning out stroppy free-thinkers, bad at teaching the mechanics of English.

Steve

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> good at turning out stroppy free-thinkers,

> bad at teaching the mechanics of English.

Honestly, I'd rather an education system have that problem than the reverse. Do you have any English/Welsh teachers that you can export to Texas? Actually, strike that... we have excellent teachers. It's your administrators and school boards that we need.

swatts
Active Participant

Sadly that was a very long time ago. The UK education system now has become very professional and concentrates to Orwellian levels on getting the kids to work hard, behave, conform. I suspect this is at the cost of creativity and free-thinking. I'm having terrible trouble convincing my daughters that engineering is a suitable career path compared to the expectation they take up a "caring" profession or something to do with social sciences like good little girls! There are still shadows of the 1950s in our attitudes that I find difficult to comprehend.

Steve

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

I wore it on sunday, you should have been there at the Ginger Man.

Regarding the single wash, it survived so far, we washed it inside-out

I love my t-shirt and I feel honored to have one of the limited edition SSDC mildly offensive coorporate wear

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

Steve,

We have talked about this before. I grew up in a society that kept telling me I was not going to find a husband if I studied Engineering, or that I should find an easier major since I was going to get married anyway, and so on and so on... So, if you ever want me to talk to your girls and tell them about all the other possibilities out there, I would love to.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
CRoebuck

I'm afraid that limited edition building block one is now even more limited.......even when washed inside out there are now fewer blocks than before. Functional decomposition perhaps ?

It was effective whilst it lasted (the guy lost his job last week btw !!!)

Don't forget to give Kudo's for a good answer !

LabVIEW Champion
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
swatts
Active Participant

The T-shirt is mightier than the sword obviously....

Steve

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile