From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Random Ramblings on LabVIEW Design

Community Browser
Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I want Semantic Zoom and I want it now

swatts
Active Participant

Hello my Lovelies.

I've been having fun in Krakow at the eCLA summit 2019 with 200 of my LabVIEW friends. Related to my Immediacy research one of the things that really interested me was a discussion about Semantic zoom. I think we're beginning to create a common language and I think if it can be pulled off it will really shake things up. The point of this article is as a design conversation piece.

Caveat: This is all blue-sky, none of this exists except in a few peoples heads, nothing is promised. 

Here's some of the terms and a definition. I'll be diving deeper into this at NIWeek

Semantic Zoom

I view this as the seamless navigation from one part of the system to another. Even if it isn't actually seamless in the background, my brain needs to think it is. It allows me to do quite complex things without breaking context.

Flow State/Task Absorption

When you are totally engrossed in your activity and lose track of time, more on this at NIWeek. There are physical and mental benefits to attaining this state as often as possible. Good design helps here.

Context Switching / Breaking Context

This is when you have to stop thinking about one thing and start thinking about another. Spoken as a  block diagram fundamentalist, it is any time I am removed from the block diagram to do my programming. Breaking context uses up valuable brain slots and pulls you out of the flow state.

Seamless Navigation

I don't want to think about moving from the visible manifestation of the problem to the area of code for the solution. It's a waste of valuable brain slots.

I'll try adding more terms as I come to them, language is important here....

The video below is how I would like to see a State Transition Diagram in the LabVIEW block diagram, it's important to note that I don't want a separate editor (or if it is separate I want to be ignorant of it - seamless navigation is the target here). I did it in Prezi and it really gave me the feeling I was after for the block diagram.

This should be applicable to UML, ERDs, Actor diagrams, System level hardware or whatever else we can think of and could consist of a graphical object that can be placed on the block diagram and when clicked it should navigate to the code (or another diagram). Having some hooks associated with it would be nice too. By hooks I mean LabVIEW code related to actions on the graphical object.

Also I don't want NI to provide the diagrams, I want them to provide the APIs to allow us to build our own tools. 

If the LabVIEW devs could crack on and get this to me I'll be very happy.

By the way the eCLA summit was a triumph again, thanks to Professor Piotr Maj and everyone at AGH for being an excellent hosts and everyone at NI who made it happen. Having the product owners over in force again was fantastic and hopefully will be repeated on an on-going basis. Very encouraged by the direction things are going on various fronts. So Kudos to all!

Lots of Love

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

@swatts wrote:

Also I don't want NI to provide the diagrams, I want them to provide the APIs to allow us to build our own tools. 

... and we want those APIs for G not C#.

Thanks,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
PNHorn

Fab - so you're saying you don't buy LabVIEW to program C#..... That's odd Smiley Surprised

PNHorn

Kudos on the idea btw Steve, if we can figure this out it would be amazing!

joerg.hampel
Active Participant

I've been meaning to add this for a long time, cause every time I stumble upon this blog and read the title, it starts playing in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0UTfEab_4 

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)