Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I'm not being critical but... (Re-use) Part 4

swatts
Active Participant

As I'm preparing for my presentation at ALVIN tomorrow it occurred to me that there was one aspect of this discussion about Environment VIs vs Project VIs that could be improved quite easily.

So just to clarify.

EnvChanges.png

Most if not all of the VIs in these directories can be edited or replaced. This will potentially cause changes across all of your projects on this machine and undo these changes when you load your project on a new machine. This somewhat makes a mockery of source code control.

I think it would be good to have some warning of this. Something akin to the following dialog box would work.

SaveChanges.png

Personally I would go further and move the affected VI into the project directory, but this at least explains the ramifications rather than silently causing chaos in your code-base.

I think we're getting close to having this idea thrashed out now.

Here's where I'm staying for the week (I'm a lucky lad really)

37792868_2293629047344343_707930581702279168_n.jpg

Lots of Love

Steve

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Here are a couple of ideas in the Idea Exchange you might want to consider:

"Save All" needs a soft barrier to prevent accidental use

Make the VI's from the "vi.lib" Read-only

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
swatts
Active Participant

Cheers Tim

I'd go further and attach the same rules to instr.lib and user.lib too.

Also I really should check the Idea Exchange out more often.

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Taggart
Active Participant

When I create vipm packages, I always add a post install vi which makes them all read only.  I don't want anybody changing them.  If they need to change, then you have to go back to the source, change it and rebuild.  It seems to work. 

Seems to me you could write a simple vi or script to find everything in vi.lib and make it read only.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
joerg.hampel
Active Participant

Sam, I do a similar thing for source distributions and add a random password. 

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

Intaris
Proven Zealot

I'm actually not sure whether my following post should be taken seriously at all....

Why aren't these things extendable as opposed to editable? Make all the code in these directories members of read-only classes which can only be modified by overriding them and explicitly using the child versions in code.  That way, you'll at least have to put the child somewhere (in your project) and it's clear in your code that you're using a different version.

IDE problems ahoy!