From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Random Ramblings on LabVIEW Design

Community Browser
Labels
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DSH Workshops Publishing - A new book announcement

swatts
Active Participant

Hello My Designer Fam,

20 years ago Jon Conway and I wrote "A Software Engineering Approach to LabVIEW", writing with Jon was great fun and the chapters that we really worked on together make me proud (Chapters 3 and 4)

I was never really happy with the publishing side of things. My main issues were lack of control, the rights to anything in the book always and forever belonged to Pearson. I also hated the pricing, and then they cocked up the printing (which was essentially the only important part of the job!)

So I started putting my thoughts down here in short-form and in presentations in a longer form. I like this platform and thoroughly enjoyed the feedback, I also enjoy presenting. But presentations are ephemeral and the blog articles to short. Also it's kind of nice to reach for a book..

What I would like is a short book, a deep-dive on a particular subject, that is affordable. I also wanted the rights to be ours (DSH Workshops) and the ability to make updates easily was also another important factor.

And then I discovered Kindle Direct Publishing and it ticked enough boxes for us to invest in a trial.

So introducing our first DSH Workshops Book.

Amazon.png

And it can be found here - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVDFLS6W

If there is enough interest we will start looking for companion books for our various DSH Workshop courses and presentations. Aiming for 40-70 page books on a very specific subject, with costs around that shown above.

By the way, this is something that other LabVIEW content creators could consider, the process was pretty easy.

Lot's of Love

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments
Jacobson-ni
NI Employee (retired)

Asking the important question, how was the cover decided on?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
swatts
Active Participant

I like dogs and that's Milo, all covers will be our pets (or people we knows pets)

I always like O'Reilly for their covers

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Anywhere to get it besides Amazon?

swatts
Active Participant

Sadly the self-publishing is done through Kindle Direct Publishing (which is great, it pains me to praise them), so going through Amazon is best for us. It doesn't make much sense to self-publish on any other platform.

I have now opened it up to 3rd part distribution, so it should be orderable from a bookshop...but delivery will take some time I expect and it takes the royalty per book from $3 to $1.

Steve

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile