RTI DDS Toolkit for LabVIEW Support

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTI DDS Toolkit support PXI RT Linux

Hi Team,

Do you have examples of RTI DDS toolkit running on RT Linux PXI?

Thanks!
Hovhannes

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,351 Views)
I had attempted to make it work with PXI RT Linux, but was unsuccessful. Support for NI RT Linux would be nice since NI is getting rid of Pharlaps and moving to RT Linux completely
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting For the inner calling 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,348 Views)

Hi Hovhannes

We don't have any example for the PXI devices. PXI is not officially supported.

Regards

Ismael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,336 Views)

Ismael,

Does RTI have plans to release support for NI Linux RT on PXI in the future?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,311 Views)

Hi Ismael,

Is the ROS2 support in the latest Connext release also available in the Labview DDS Toolkit?

Thanks in advance,

Pelle S
Account Manager
National Instruments Sweden
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,963 Views)

Hi PelleS

DDS Toolkit can communicate with ROS since it uses DDS. In this link you can find more information about communicating LabVIEW with ROS.

Regards

Ismael

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,955 Views)

Thank you Ismael!

That was what I had hoped.

Regarding OS support, I read on the product page: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/sv/nid/211817, that it supports LinuxRT cRIOs.

I would need it run on a LinuxRT based PXI. Is there anything in the distribution that would limit that support? I colleague of mine mentioned that two years ago it didn't work out of the box. Do you know if that is updated now?

Thanks in advance,

Pelle S
Account Manager
National Instruments Sweden
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,949 Views)

PXI platforms are not officially supported. However, PXIs based on Intel x64 support NI Linux. Which is the same architecture as the cRIO-9031. One of the platforms supported by the RTI DDS Toolkit.

Users can make it installable on a PXI. Just need to add PXI in the file "<National Instruments Installation folder>\RT Images\RTI DDS Toolkit\rtilvdds-linux-x64intel.cdf" by adding the line:

<DEVICECLASS VALUE="PXI" />

And them installing with MAX.

Please keep in mind that you install it at your own risk. RTI DDS Toolkit has not been tested on any PXI and is not officially supported by RTI.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,943 Views)

HI Ismael, 

I tried to add this line to the .cfg file of the driver but MAX does not show this driver in the software installation window .

I did a workaround, I manually copied all the necessary files to the appropriate folders on the PXI linux system and the DDS toolkit deployed successfully and works. 

Steps to do it.
untar <National Instruments Installation folder>\RT Images\RTI DDS Toolkit\3.0.0\x64intel\rti_dds.tar 
Then untar data.tar file, there are thee folders etc, home, usr.
Copy all files from this 3 folders to same place as in there hierarchy in to PXI Linux.

Connect to the PXI linux system (Putty, SSH)

In the linux terminal change to the "su" (root user) and run following commands from postinst file located in the rti_dds.tar 
>ldconfig
>chmod -R go-w /usr/local/rti

After this steps you are able to run RTI DDS toolkit on PXI LinuxRT system.
I have used last version of RTI DDS from tools network, and LV 2019.

Thanks 
Harut

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,929 Views)

Hi Harut,

You are right. Deploying the files manually is also a way to run the Toolkit in the PXI. Thanks.

Regards

Ismael

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,925 Views)