From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

RTI DDS Toolkit for LabVIEW Support

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTI- Cluster Example

Solved!
Go to solution

The cluster example given with LabVIEW VIPM is locked. I get protecting Intellectual Property, but there is the problem:

Your Example VI is locked to one very particular cluster of data and can't be changed. OK, so I can't add my cluster and I also I can't see how to interface with the DLL directly to allow clusters. If you're going to lock all of your examples, don't provide this one in the examples. It's a bit pointless being locked.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,771 Views)
Solution
Accepted by JW-JnJ

Hi Josh,

I apologize for the inconveniences. From the version 2.0.0+ there is a way of generating your own create/read/write subVIs for your own type.

You need to use the "RTI DDS ComplexType Generator" which is under the Tools/RTI DDS Toolkit toolbar category. This allows you to create your specific example per Type Definition. 

You can find more information about this in the Getting Started Guide section "6.3 RTI DDS ComplexType Generator". Once you generate code, if you enable the 'Generate Example VIs' option, you will find two files called "ComplexType Reader Example" and "ComplexType Writer Example" that are quite similar to the cluster example you mention.

I hope this helps,

Angel.

Message 2 of 6
(5,768 Views)

Wow, good anwer. I wasn't expecting an RTM, sorry about that.

It creates broken code for the attached control.

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,763 Views)

Hi Josh,

Arrays of strings are not currently supported by the RTI DDS Toolkit. In the Getting Started Guide, section "Appendix C Supported Data Types and Corresponding IDL" you can see all the supported types.

The following version of the RTI DDS Toolkit will notify you that your type is unsupported before generating any subVI.

BTW, if you are using arrays, I recommend you to set the size and save it as the default value. Here you can find how to set up the array size: https://community.rti.com/kb/why-my-labview-array-not-working-properly

Regards,

Angel.

Message 4 of 6
(5,753 Views)

Hi Angel,

is there a plan for supporting an array (sequence) of strings in the next version of RTI DDS toolkit?

I'm currently using version 2.2.0.107 of the toolkit an it seems that it is still not possible.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,024 Views)

Hi Peter

Our next release (3.0.0.109) will be released in a few days. Unfortunately, arrays of strings are not supported yet. The new version will include blocking read operation, improved Administration Panel, bugs fixed and it is based on Connext DDS 6 (see what's new in Connext 6 https://www.rti.com/products/connext-6).

A possible option would be to create a cluster that contains multiple strings. Or to use arrays of octets. I know it is not ideal but could do the job.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,011 Views)