niRFSA_ConfigureReferenceLevel

niRFSA_ConfigureRefClock

niRFSA_ConfigureIQCarrierFrequency

niRFSA_ConfigureIQRate

niRFSA_ConfigureNumberOfSamples

niRFSA_Commit

Will a call here to:

niRFSA_CheckAcquisitionStatus

return isDone == VI_FALSE until the hardware has been setup?

niRFSA_Initialize // start the measurement

Will a call here to:

niRFSA_CheckAcquisitionStatus

return isDone == VI_FALSE until the block of IQ data (number of samples) is available for reading?

niRFSA_FetchIQSingleRecordComplexI16 // read the IQ data

niRFSA_GetScalingCoefficients // get the scale factors to convert 16-bit integer IQ to 32-bit real

I'm trying to use the niRFSA_* API in a non-blocking manner.

Thanks,

Gary Anderson

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,708 Views)

Hello Gary,

When looking for the function calls you are making, none of them are blocking calls except the niRFSA_FetchIQSingleRecordComplexI16 which contains a timeout where it waits to acquire the number of samples specified for the function. For a finite acquistion, you can prevent a blocking function call by calling in a loop the niRFSA_CheckAcquistionStatus to see if all the samples have been acquired. If it has, then the function should return a true. This function would instead return a false if you are performing a continuous acquistions because the acquisition is never completed. You will be setting the continuous or finite acquistion in the ConfigureNumberOfSamples.

Along with this the niRFSA_Initialize should initialize the session with the device so this should be started before configuring the session. From here you should call niRFSA Initiate.

Jim St
National Instruments
RF Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,701 Views)

Actually my call to niRFSA_Initialize is a typo -- should have been niRFSA_Initiate.  I  am calling niRFSA_Initialize

before all the configuration calls.

Sounds like I don't need the call to niRFSA_commit.

Could I also use niRFSA_GetFetchBacklog to see if sufficient data is available?   This is probably no more/less efficient than niRFSA_CheckAcquisitionStatus.

Thanks for your quick response.  I should be able to try this with hardware next week.

Gary

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,698 Views)

Hello Gary,

I thought the Initialize was a typo but I wanted to confirm. As the niRFSA_Commit and the niRFSA_GetFetchBacklog, I explain there purpose below:

1.) niRFSA_Commit: The purpose of this VI is to commit the settings you have created to the hardware which will check to make sure the hardware can do it. If there is any problems with this, it will report back errors. I find this function to be particularly helpful when trying to verify if the settings I have chosen will cause any unforeseen problems. Ultimately, this function is optional because the niRFSA_Initiate will perform this step behind the scenes.

2.) niRFSA_GetFetchBacklog: This VI will provide you the number that haven't been acquired yet. This will give you alot more information that the niRFSA_CheckAcquistionStatus in the sense that you can monitor how many more points have been acquired. This can be used in the polling senario where you wait to read until X number of samples are in the buffer. This will really though depend upon your application.

Jim St
National Instruments
RF Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,684 Views)

Hi Jim,

I'm finally getting back to working on this code.  I don't have hardware yet so I've been trying to get things initially working using simulate mode.  I'm calling niRFSA_InitWithOptions with resource=="" and options=="Simulate=1,DriverSetup=Model:5665;BoardType:PXIe".  The function returns 0x3ffa4003.

I attempted to create a simulated device using MAX but the 5665 wasn't available as a choice in the RFSA dialog box. 

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,668 Views)

The error returned by niRFSA_GetError  is

The LO returned the following warning:

Explanation could not be found for the requested status code.
  Verify that the requested status code is correct.
  Status Code: 223537

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,663 Views)

Hmmm, must be no such thing as a 5665.  When I change to 5663 I get through the init' function.

Moving on.....

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,662 Views)