RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF Power Meter

Hi all,

I'm interested in the RF Power Meter (USB 5680). Are you able to set the frequency of the signal to measure? If so, do you set individual frequencies or specify a band?

Is there an equivalent product for PXI?

Thanks,

J

Message Edited by JChec on 01-14-2010 04:01 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,041 Views)

JChec,

Thanks for posting on the NI forums.  With the USB-5680 you are able to set the individual frequencies that you want to acquire from 50 MHz to 6 GHz. The device also has a bandwidth of 100 Hz. I have provided links for a couple of documents that give further details for the USB-5680.

As far as a PXI equivalent device we don't have a specific PXI RF Power Meter. You could always use a PXI-5663 or PXI-5661 which are RF Spectrum Analyzers, but they are considerable higher priced, but will provide many more capabilities. 

NI USB-5680 RF Power Meter Specifications

NI USB-5680 RF Power Meter User Manual

NI USB-5680 RF Power Meter Data Sheet

Aaron W.
National Instruments
CLA, CTA and CPI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,021 Views)

I just wanted to add a word regarding frequency selection on the NI USB-5680: the frequency configuration is used by the device only to perform a cal correction at the given frequency. The sensor always measures total power in the whole instrument range. The bandwidth translates into necessary duration of signals to be measured, not to be confused with a bandwidth around a center frequency of a spectrum analyzer.

best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,015 Views)

Thanks for the informative responses from both of you. I had looked through those documents, but because i'm new on RF device, I was unsure. I had initially thought I could set the frequency at which to measure (like what Aaron has stated), but then noticed that the frequency may only be for correction (like what Srđan has stated). 

So what Srđan's saying is that I will not be able to measure specific frequencies and the only reading I will get is the power over 50MHz to 6GHz?

If thats the case, the front panel shown in the user manual is a little misleading to me. I've attacehed page 10 of 28. Here the panel shows a reading with a Frequency of 50MHz. That panel shot gives me the impression you can set the frequency to measure.

Sorry, I'm still unsure on the funtionality here.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,996 Views)

J,

the frequency is really only used for the correction calculation. If you have an isolated signal,  using power sensor is the way to go. If you have signals present at spread frequencies in the 50MHz-6GHz range, then you have to provide external filtering to isolate power around your frequency of interest.

By itself, a power sensor is slanted for use in the controlled environment, when you needn't worry about other frequencies. 

I hope this helps, 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,993 Views)