RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modulating a 5644R VST with a BERT

I have ended up with a 5644R VST I have never used.  So I don't know a lot about its capabilities.  And I have never used the FPGA toolkit. 

I want to use the VST in a test set that has an Agilent E4433 generator right now.  I need to modulate the 5644R (BFSK) with the BERT output.  It looks like I should be able to do that, but before I start chasing it down and potentially wasting a lot of time, can somebody tell me if its's possible, and give me a pointer towards how to do it?  

I've searched the site but can't find a straight answer to this question.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,617 Views)

Have you configured your PC with the tools and drivers that the 5644 needs?

For example to have the 5644 run as a generator you need NI RFSG https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-rfsg.html#333282 (see readme: https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374769w.html)

Not trying to talk you out the E4433, but what is the reason for going from the 4433 to 5644?

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(5,610 Views)

The chassis is on a bottom shelf right now.  As I recall, I had all the goods installed (RFSG, RFSA, VST Toolkit, FPGA something-or-other).  But I will get it out and see what's there.  If it all is there, will the answer be right in front of me?  

Why?  

1: It's a fewer-box solution and I can clear some space

2: The 4433 gets freed up for other things

3: I would like to use the 5644 because it's just sitting there otherwise and that's a shame

4: I get to learn more LabVIEW

5: It's way cooler

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(5,599 Views)

I suggest confirming that you can run the generator and analyzer examples (See LabVIEW's example finder) and via instrument studio (used to be the soft front panels).

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,531 Views)

OK, I got out the VST and booted it up.  Installed is:

• LV 2011 PDE (yes it's that old.  I can install 2016 PDE later.)
  • VISA, DAQmx, etc. 
  • RFSA ( soft front panel runs, instrument good)
  • RFSG (soft front panel runs, instrument good)
  • RFmx for LV
  • VST Design Libraries
  • Modulation, Spectral Measurement toolkits
  • WLAN Analysis and Generation toolkits
  • FPGA Interface palette in LV

NOT installed is the FPGA module.  I believe this VST was bought for WLAN only and didn't need the FPGA. 

I am going to assume that to do this modulation via hardware I need the FPGA module.  I see from the help file there are FPGA resources that include IQ inputs.  

Any advice on what to do next?  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,479 Views)

How are you using the E4433 now? Do you have a waveform file that you're downloading? Is it's output being modulated by another analog signal?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,474 Views)

The 4433 is modulated by an external bit error rate tester.  It is set up to use the BNCs on the front panel for clock and data to modulate a BFSK signal with specified deviation.  I want to modulate the 5644 in the same way.  

The BERT is an old TTC Fireberd 6000A with TTL output.  This is the easiest way of implementing a bit error rate test, by using the Fireberd.  It's a purpose-built machine that just does it.  I suppose it would be possible to create vis to modulate the 5644 and then bring the recovered bistream back into the FPGA, and figure out a way to correlate the  waveforms.  Too much work, I just want to modulate the 5644 with the external source and let the Fireberd do all the work.  

So the bottom-line question is, how do I modulate the 5644 with an external signal.  Is it even possible?  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(5,470 Views)

The newest version I would recommend is LabVIEW 2015.  After that version NI no longer makes the FPGA code available online.

See the download link: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.vst-instrument-design-libraries.html#331...

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(5,459 Views)

OK - but, if I can't do this modulation using an outside piece of hardware, there's no reason for me to do anything else on this chassis.  Can you tell me if it's possible?  

I honestly can't tell from any of the literature.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,450 Views)

You could write something to do it so long as the hardware output supports it.

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(5,446 Views)