From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the PXI-5650 work in a cPCI slot?

Does the PXI-5650 work in a cPCI slot? I'm plugging
it into a cPCI backplane with only a J1. It is not
detected on the PCI bus. Does the card required J2 power,
or should it work with just J1?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,445 Views)
Hello kd3bj2,
The PXI-565x requires a +5V, +3.3V, +12V, and -12V power rail, per page 6 of the PXI-565x specifications. Attaching a screenshot of the applicable section here.

Regards,
Andy Hinde
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,436 Views)

@Andy Hinde wrote:
Hello kd3bj2,
The PXI-565x requires a +5V, +3.3V, +12V, and -12V power rail, per page 6 of the PXI-565x specifications. Attaching a screenshot of the applicable section here.

Regards,
Andy Hinde
National Instruments

That doesn't answer either of my questions.

As you may recall, cPCI slots come in two varieties
based on the setting of V(I/O). Which does the 5650
require?????

Note that even if V(I/O)=5.0 the card may still required
3.3V.

And my question about cPCI is independendt of V(I/O)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,429 Views)
Hello kd3bj2,
I'm sorry my first reply didn't answer all of your questions. Fortunately, we check these discussion forums at NI regularly to make sure all customer questions get answered even when the first response may not be what you were looking for. I'm sure we can work together to get you the information you need.

The PXI-565x devices contain a normal cPCI J1 connector. There is also a 48 pin J2 connector that is smaller than normal cPCI J2 connectors. This is to allow the PXI-565x devices to plug into older PXI chassis as well as newer PXI-PXIe hybrid chassis (in PXI or hybrid slots). The PXI-565x is still a PCI based device and uses J2 only for timing and triggering lines. There are no power rails connected to J2 as per the cPCI specification.

The PXI-565x requires 5V keyed VIO backplane slots. You can tell this from the color of the key used in rows 12-14 of the J1 connector. The PXI-565x uses a blue key, which in the cPCI specification dictates a need for a 5V VIO slot.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
Andy Hinde
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,402 Views)