RF Developer's Network

Highlighted

Have your ever wanted to convert dBm to dBmV?

Hey guys,

Here's a little utility that I wrote - and use from time to time to convert RF units.  It converts between units of dBm, Vptp, Watts, Vrms, dBW, and dBmV.  If anyone happens to have LabVIEW PDA and a windows mobile cell phone, let me know because I have a version that you can run on your phone as well.  Enjoy!

- Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(11,588 Views)
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Have your ever wanted to convert dBm to dBmV?

Nice little tutorial. I would recommend one additional modification/feature. Make it so that the user can change any cell and the other field items would update. One never knows which way they need to convert.

Here is an example:

http://www.bessernet.com/jobAids/dBmCalc/dBmCalc.html

If you change any value in any cell,the others update accordingly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,893 Views)

Excellent utility.  I believe this utility is superior to the one found at bessernet .com because you can change the impedance.  Perhaps the previous commenter didn't notice that you can change the Input Units (to the right of Input Value) so that you can convert whichever way you want.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,893 Views)

ok this thread is very old but as it is easily found when searching for dBmV and dBm conversion I would like to give a heads-up to the fact that there is a mistake in the calculation from dBm to dBmV in the VI: RF_unit_conversion2.

The correct equation is 

Voltage_dBmV = Power_dBm + 10 log(1000*R)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(107 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.