From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Remove&Rewire fail to rewire complex data?

Simple example (A picture say it best!):

(can be complex array or scalar)

altenbach_0-1602708786681.png

Message 1 of 4
(2,391 Views)

There are a couple of factors at play here:

1. When the selection includes multiple objects, Remove and Rewire removes them (and rewires them) one at a time, not as a group.

2. With one exception, remove and rewire will not keep broken wires. That exception is when there is a single object being removed, and it has exactly one input and one output.

As applied to your code, the functions get removed one at a time, the resulting rewired wires are broken (because the CDB array is being wired to a terminal expecting a DBL array, or vice-versa), and the broken wires are removed.

Ideally, Remove and Rewire would treat a selection as a single unit and look at the inputs and outputs to that unit. I doubt this will ever be implemented in LabVIEW 20xx, although you're welcome to post it to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. If you'd like to see this in LabVIEW NXG (which has a completely different implementation for Remove and Rewire), you can use the in-product feedback feature.

Message 2 of 4
(2,366 Views)

Thanks for the insight. Curiously, if I place an sequence frame or IPE frame around the code and then select it, the QD shortcut works fine. I guess the shortcut code code be changed to do that too but it will probably break other things 😉

Still, just rewiring is probably faster 😉

Message 3 of 4
(2,344 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I guess the shortcut code code be changed to do that too but it will probably break other things

There is a scripting method that can wrap the selection in a structure, but it's pretty flaky. Again, if you posted this to the Idea Exchange, I would vote for it, and maybe with enough kudos, LabVIEW R&D will take a closer look.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,326 Views)