From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Numeric Representation

This shortcut allows you to set the Numeric Representation of individual or multiple Block Diagram and/or Front Panels elements using Quick Drop.

To install

Unzip the attached into <LabVIEW>\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins folder.

How to use

1. Select Numeric Terminal(s) or Constant(s) on the FP or BD.
  2. Open quick drop (Ctrl+Space). 
  3. Type in the required Numeric Representation, as seen on the Numeric Representation right click shortcut menu in LabVIEW, into the Quick Drop dialog (e.g. U8), NOT case sensitive.
  4. Activate the shortcut, I have been using Ctrl+R.  
  5. Any controls, constants, or indicators that you selected and that can accept the new representation will be assigned that representation.  Other selected items will be ignored.

The VI is saved in 2014.  Testing: Limited.

Future Expansion

I would like to add the capability to modify the numeric representation of an array.

A big thank you to bienieck whose Wire Labelling VI formed the starting point for this VI.

Changes Since First Release

Various Bug Fixes

Modified to work with all types of Numerics not just Digitals

Array Numeric Represenetation setting capability added

Cluster and Cluster Element Numeric Representation setting capability added

Message 1 of 15
(8,617 Views)

R might be a bad choice since that is the default for the built-in Remove.  Still, something to play around with.  This could be quite useful.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(6,569 Views)

Very cool plugin! I noticed that you say above that it works on controls on the front panel, but the code in ModifyReferencesNumericRepresentations.vi only appears to work on Control Terminals and Constants on the diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(6,569 Views)

ModifyReferencesNumericRepresentations.vi should be called twice, once with a list of BD selected items and once with a list of FP selected items.

There is a bug in that this shortcut will only begin modifying representations via the front panel once at least one representation has been modified via the Block Diagram. (?????).

Darren's comment is making more sense now.  My understanding of how an item gets into the SelList[] was flawed.  Understanding and Shortcut corrected Version 2 attached.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(6,569 Views)

Hi,

How can I unsubscribe from emails from certain group subscriptions?

Regards,

Bogdan Haiducu

*National Instruments *| District Engineer | 408.475.7130 | *LinkedIn

<http://www.linkedin.com/in/bogdanhaiducu>*

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(6,569 Views)

Bogdan_H wrote:

How can I unsubscribe from emails from certain group subscriptions?

Capture.PNG

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(6,569 Views)

Is there a possibility to post the shortcut in LV2013? Haven't migrated to 2014 yet...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(6,569 Views)

Hi comrade.  LV2013 version uploaded.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(6,569 Views)

That was quick.

Unfortunately the down-save broke the execution arrow - "Clear Errors" seems to have added functionality in LV2014 - you specifically either clear Error 1057 or you exclude this error from being cleared in both of the subVIs.

Either way - I now just clear all errors that are thrown by "to more specific" and get on with it. Seems to work at a quick glance.

For your future implementations concerning arrays - as a temporary workaround, try "convert from,toArrays": Turn the elements into scalars using this shortcut, then change representation with your shortcut and change it back into an array. Should still be quicker than changing representation via right click menu, at least when doing it for more than one element at a time...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(6,569 Views)

Nice one.  Can you upload a V2 for LV2013?

I had a look at modifying the numeric representation of arrays and struggled to find a way to do it. 

Using two shortcuts (as you suggest) is pretty quick but not as quick as using the right click shortcut menu.....maybe I will have another look this afternoon.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(6,569 Views)