From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Drop in LabVIEW 8.5

Even though Quick Drop was released in LabVIEW 8.6, I used LabVIEW 8.5 to write my original prototype.  So naturally, as people have found out about this (see here), they have requested that I make my prototype available so they can have Quick Drop functionality in LabVIEW 8.5.  Well, the wait is over.  Follow the steps below to add Quick Drop functionality to LabVIEW 8.5.:

1. Extract the ZIP file below to your LabVIEW 8.5 folder (it will install files in both your project and your resource folders).
  2. Add the following line to your LabVIEW.ini file:
    CustomShortcuts=";APP_MAX,Ctrl+ " (note the space after the plus)
  3. Launch LabVIEW 8.5.
  4. Press Ctrl-Space to bring up the Quick Drop window.

Note 1: With this prototype, Quick Drop replaces the Tools > Measurement and Automation Explorer menu option functionality. To restore the old functionality of this menu item (and also uninstall Quick Drop in 8.5), follow these steps:

1. Delete the INI entry mentioned above.
  2. Rename max.bak to max.llb in your [LabVIEW 8.5]\project folder.
  3. Delete the [LabVIEW 8.5]\resource\dialog\QuickDrop folder.

Note 2: Before anybody asks, I cannot backsave this prototype to older LabVIEW versions.  There is functionality that Quick Drop requires that was not present in LabVIEW 8.2 and previous.

Note 3: The object name list stored in the Quick Drop 8.5 prototype is static, so many VIs and functions that are available in your installed modules/toolkits may not appear in Quick Drop 8.5.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(8,188 Views)

If you want the functionality in older versions, I suggest you go here.

This has some differences compared to QD (some of them improvements, IMO), but will work with any version from 7.0 and up.

(3,617 Views)