From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QD Plugin - Cleanup Wires

Hello All...

This is my first time posting.... please be gentle Smiley Wink. Thank you to all who have posted QDs. I have been able to use, tweak, and learn from them. I have several QDs and Pop Up menus that I have created or acquired over time that help me when developing LabVIEW code.  For me, this cleanup wires QD is handy so I thought I would share. 

Situation: 

Working on a block of code that needed to be condensed. Many wires are disrupted when moving objects on the screen. Objects are in their desired location but wires are a mess.

Objective: 

Without moving objects around (like what block diagram cleanup would do), cleanup all selected wires.

Action:

Use the QD to cleanup selected wires.

Notes:

In some cases when wires are really a mess, it is better to delete and rewire the wires then clean them up. Hold the shift button when triggering the QD to first delete and rewire all connections then cleanup each wire. Also, you may want to loop on the wire cleanup, this can help untangle wires that are a mess around growable functions like a build array. Loop on a wire clean up by entering the number of loops in the QD dialog. I capped the number of loops to 5 so that I did not accidently start a cleanup wire cleanup loop that would run for a long time. 

Desires / improvements: 

On large block diagrams, this can be a little slow to perform. I wonder if there is a way to defer block diagram updates while this is running to speed up the process. I have tried but have been unsuccessful to speed this up. Any recommendations / ideas would be appreciated. 

Closing:

I looked (briefly) to see if something like this was out there and did not see anything similar. I found that I will use this to cleanup just one wire. For me, I found it is easier to use the quick drop than it is to right click the wire then select cleanup. Comments / criticisms are welcome. 

Using LV2019, the attached was saved for previous version: LV2016

Side Question... I have some Pop Up Menus that may be worth sharing... Would this forum be a good place to share them? If no, is there a Pop Up Menu group? - Thanks

-Lonnie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,413 Views)

@Lonnie1 wrote:

I found that I will use this to cleanup just one wire. For me, I found it is easier to use the quick drop than it is to right click the wire then select cleanup.

If you just have the wire(s) selected, use Ctrl+U (block diagram cleanup).

@Lonnie1 wrote:

Side Question... I have some Pop Up Menus that may be worth sharing... Would this forum be a good place to share them? If no, is there a Pop Up Menu group?

LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plug-Ins

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 2
(2,408 Views)