Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QD Oddness in Search (Obtain Queue)

So I didn't know if this should be posted in the normal subforum or not but I have always wondered why some functions like "Obtain Queue" are hard to get into my search query if I type it a specific way.  In 2017 if I invoke QD on the block diagram and type "obtai" I get Obtain Queue, Obtain Notifier, Obtain Semaphore Reference, and Obtain Message Queue.  Great that is expected.

But if I type "obtain" adding the 'n' one would hope I get the same result.  But instead I get Find Window, Find Subarray, CAN Set Receive Mode, Find IP Device, Find VI with Focus, and a whole large list of other functions that don't have the word obtain in them.  Also if I type "obtain queue" the first item is correctly the one I want, but the second is Get Queue Status, and Get Msg Queue Status.

Is this a result of QD and alternate means of words?  Like is the word Obtain also like Find, or Get, and so the search results return other functions instead?  Just like my idea exchange I'd hope priority is given to the functions that are spelled exactly the way I want.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,820 Views)

I filed a CAR for this issue years ago and it got rejected. This behavior is unavoidable with the default QD configuration. If you want it turned off, you'll need to turn off relevancy-based search. In Quick Drop click Configure and go to the Options tab:

1.png

You do lose the relevancy and keyword matching you get in palette search, but this does fix quirks with relevancy search and it makes Quick Drop a little more responsive to key presses.

Message 2 of 5
(3,817 Views)

Rejected due to what if you don't mind me asking?  It seems like a legitimate bug.  One I feel like I could fix pretty quickly.  I'm guessing since this feature is locked down there isn't a way to configure what terms can be interchanged with what.  Like I've had problems remembering if it is Quit, or Close, or Exit that I want and wouldn't mind if those are interchangeable as long as priority is given to the right ones first.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like the search wasn't implemented in G so no hope in me fixing NI's bug.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,807 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Rejected due to what if you don't mind me asking?  It seems like a legitimate bug.  One I feel like I could fix pretty quickly.  

I don't remember, low priority maybe? I agree that it seems like a bug. But it is a bug in the NI-SEARCH algorithm, which is not G code, and is owned by another team.

Message 4 of 5
(3,805 Views)

So there is a way I could prioritize the output result of the NI search query.  The problem with this is the output of the NI search query is limited to the first N results, and while I might be prioritizing those, I still might not have the result I want.  For instance I can search for Obtain and get the first 100 results, then put those that don't contain the word "obtain" at the back of the list.  The problem is of the first 100 results none contain "obtain".  Bummer.  Thanks anyway Darren.  When I contemplate implementing QD in pure G, that means I've gone crazy right?  right?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,800 Views)