Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction to Quick Drop

Quick Drop Basics

Press Ctrl-Space to launch Quick Drop. Type the name of an object you wish to drop (or type as much as necessary to bring the desired object to the top of the Quick Drop list). Do one of the following things to actually drop the object:

1. Press Enter to get the object on your cursor.

2. Double-click an item in the Quick Drop list to get the object on your cursor.

3. Click in the VI where you want to drop the object. This approach, which doesn't require the object to ever be on your cursor, is called Super Quick Drop, and it's the fastest way to get objects on your panels and diagrams.

In addition to providing the names of all objects in your current palette set, the names of VIs, typedefs, and classes in any open project are also available as objects to drop in Quick Drop.

Object Shortcuts

If there are objects that you frequently drop, you'll want to make object shortcuts for them. This allows you to type a short "alias" of the object, which acts as if you typed the whole name of the object. For example, you could use "cs" for Case Structure", or "nc" for Numeric Control.

You'll usually want your object shortcuts to be typable with your left hand only. What this allows you to do is type a left-handed shortcut, Super Quick Drop the item onto your diagram, and your hands never had to leave the "LabVIEW Standard" positions (left hand on keyboard, right hand on mouse). You can configure object shortcuts by clicking the Configure button in the Quick Drop window and going to the Front Panel or Block Diagram tab. See here for a downloadable object shortcut list.

Ctrl-Key Shortcuts

While the Quick Drop window is open, there are several Ctrl-Key shortcuts you can press to automate editor tasks:

1. Remove and Rewire (Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-R) - Removes the selected block diagram object(s) and any wires and constants connected to the selected object(s), and connects wires of identical data types that were wired to the inputs and outputs of the deleted object(s).

2. Replace (Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-P) - Replaces the selected panel or diagram object(s) with the object specified by name in the Quick Drop dialog box.

3a. Insert (Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-I) - Inserts the object specified by name in the Quick Drop dialog box on the selected wire(s) on the diagram.  If [Shift] is also pressed, and multiple wires were selected, a single instance of the object is inserted on those wires.

4. Wire All Terminals (Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-D) - Creates controls and indicators for all unwired inputs and outputs of the selected block diagram object(s).  If [Shift] is also pressed, creates constants for all unwired inputs of the selected block diagram object(s).

5. Move Labels (Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-T) - Repositions the visible labels or captions of top-level front panel and block diagram objects to be consistent with the "Default label position" settings in Tools > Options. If [Shift] is also pressed, then all objects, including nested objects, are modified. If this shortcut is activated from the front panel, then controls and indicators are modified. If it is activated from the block diagram, then control and indicator terminals are modified. If panel or diagram objects were already selected when this shortcut is activated, only the selected objects that have visible labels or captions are modified. The text justification of the modified labels and captions is also modified to be consistent with the new label or caption position.

6. VI Server Rename (Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-B) - Changes the VI Server class of the selected property node(s), invoke node(s), and/or Class Specifier Constants, to the class typed in the Quick Drop window.  If [Shift] is also pressed, changes the property/method of the selected property node(s)/invoke node(s), respectively, to the property/method name typed in the Quick Drop window.

7. Wire Multiple Objects Together (Ctrl-Space-Ctrl-W) - Connects compatible terminals between multiple selected diagram objects. This shortcut will wire compatible data types between the objects in a left-to-right fashion. If [Shift] is also pressed, LabVIEW will perform a diagram cleanup of the selected objects after wiring them together. Note: This shortcut is present in LabVIEW 2014 and later.

You can configure Ctrl-Key Shortcuts by clicking the Configure button in the Quick Drop window and going to the Ctrl-Key Shortcuts tab. You can also download shortcuts that go above and beyond the 7 listed above that ship with LabVIEW. See here for a list of community submitted Ctrl-Key Shortcuts.

Message 1 of 17
(16,445 Views)

This might just be me(and my team), but I don’t like Ctrl-P (too far to the right)

We use D for Delete (Remove and Rewire Ctrl-R)

We use R for Replace (Replace Ctrl-P)

I never need to use “Wire All Terminals” (Ctrl-D)

Is this just me?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(11,961 Views)

I use Wire All Terminals all the time! My most common use case is Ctrl-Shift-D to create a constant or two off a node that is already mostly wired up...I find it much faster than right-click > Create > Constant.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(11,961 Views)

And why D, I can't find the letter D in the string "Wire All Terminals"

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(11,961 Views)

I've been asked that question before. I remember there was a really good reason when I first wrote this shortcut in LabVIEW 2009, and I've totally forgotten what that reason was.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(11,961 Views)

I use X for Remove and Rewire (X for Cut)

I use E for Replace or Insert ( https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-22143 )

I use 'E' everywhere an 'I' would be applicable because it's left handed.  For instance 'edx' is Index Array.  Simlarly, I use 'q' for 'p', as in 'qn' for property node.  In place element structure is therefore 'eqe'

I don't use Wire all Terminals, but sometimes wish I did.  I don't remember that it's D

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(11,961 Views)

I would probably use "W", and depending on if you select one Item you wire All Terminals, and if multiple items Wire them Together. I think I'll update my "Wire Multiple Objects Together" so:

1. If multiple items selected: Wire Multiple Objects Together
  2. If One Item is node/sub VI is selected: Wire All Terminals
  3. If one or multiple Wires are selected add a Label to them: Wire Label
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(11,961 Views)

elset191 wrote:

I use X for Remove and Rewire (X for Cut)

I use E for Replace or Insert ( https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-22143 )           

Oh I like X for Cut like operations.  But I use Shift + E for Explorer which opens a folder and selects the current file in the folder.  Without Shift it does a display window of open VIs, which admittedly I don't use much.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(11,962 Views)

Hooovahh wrote:

Oh I like X for Cut like operations.

I've deemed Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, and Ctrl-X off-limits for shipping QDKS because of their potential use to copy, paste, and cut text within the QD text box.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(11,962 Views)

I saw you say that before, probably in one of your blog posts, but I went for it anyway knowing the potential future risks.  I like to live dangerously

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(11,962 Views)