From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a QD shortcut?

Am I just blind, or is the QD shortcuts dialog missing the option to delete shortcuts?

This also means, I cannot set a shortcut the way I want, if there is another plugin that already uses "my" letter.

I know this can be done by editing labview.ini, but who wants to do that (including the necessary LabVIEW restart)?

Talking about LV 2014 - haven't tried in 2015 yet.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,230 Views)

Yeah this could be a useful feature.  In the past all I've done is delete the files from the plugins folder, then delete the whole line in the INI related to the QD commands (not the shortcuts).  I believe if this line is missing it is rebuilt by LabVIEW on a restart.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,478 Views)

There is currently no way to delete a shortcut, other than removing or renaming the .vi file for the shortcut on disk. However, you shouldn't be having this problem:

> I cannot set a shortcut the way I want, if there is another plugin that already uses "my" letter.

If you select your shortcut, then press the desired key to configure that shortcut, any other shortcut already configured for that key should have that association removed, in favor of the selected shortcut getting the key assignment. You should never be in a situation where you are not allowed to assign a key to a valid shortcut.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,478 Views)

I totally agree that I should not see this behaviour 😉

So let me try all the steps once more:

* Start at the block diagramm.

* Press Ctrl-Space

* Click "Configure..."

* Select Tab "Ctrl-Key Shortcuts". O is uses by "Reset Origin", let's try to use this letter for "Open Class".

* Select "Open Class".

* Click into the Shortcut control.

* Press the "O" key.

Now I see the following message next to the Set-Button:

"Cannot assign Ctrl-O because it is already the assigned shortcut for Reset Origin."

The only workaround I found was assigning another key to the plugin that is blocking my shortcut.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,478 Views)

Ok, yeah, that isn't the workflow I would expect. I've assigned myself CAR 553495 to look into the issue further.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,478 Views)

I have a proposed fix for the issue described in this thread. Can y'all try it out and let me know if it works as you'd expect? I added a 'Remove Assignment' button in the UI to remove the assignment of a Ctrl-Key shortcut. I also changed the code to allow you to assign a shortcut to a plugin that is already assigned to another plugin. Here are steps to try it out:

1. Make a backup copy of your resource\dialog\QuickDrop folder.

2. Copy the 3 VIs in the attached ZIP file to that folder (LabVIEW 2015 or later, don't try this in an earlier version).

3. Use Quick Drop.

4. If you have problems, restore the QuickDrop folder from your backup.

Thanks in advance for anyone who is able to try this out! I'd like to get at least one external user to try this fix before it ships in LabVIEW 2016.

Message 6 of 7
(4,478 Views)

Wow awesome, I had forgotten the limitation of using an already assigned shortcut.  And in development I often would end up with some kind of orphan shortcuts that I would need to remove manually.  I think this would fix those issues too.

I just did a quick test on the remove and using an already assigned shortcut and it seemed to work.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,478 Views)