From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Context (datatype) Aware QD?

So I had a string wired to a path input.  I realize there is a right click, Insert String to Path, but for some reason I wanted to insert this with QD.  Easy enough, click the wire, start typing String to Path, then CTRL+I when that function is selected.  Which got me thinking.  Has there been any though into allowing the QuickDrop selection list to be prioritized by the data type selected?  Like if I have a string data type selected, should the string functions be first?  Obviously if I type "Build Array" that should come up as the first item, but if I type "build" should the Build Text string function come up first?

For functions I use that don't have a shortcut I usually start typing what I think the function is named, and then stop typing when I see it selected.  Having a prioritized list might help bring up those items faster.  I think the data type could first go to the palettes and subpalettes that data type is associated with for all the basic data types like numeric, boolean, string, array, etc.  For class wires that are selected you can read into the associated mnu palette, and optionally traverse the subpalettes of that mnu.

Message 1 of 3
(2,976 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Has there been any though into allowing the QuickDrop selection list to be prioritized by the data type selected?

This is the first time I've heard the suggestion. It might not be a bad idea to post to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,949 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,945 Views)