From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add remove/rewire shortcut that doesn't do a wire cleanup

Related to the recent topic of ctrl+shift+w doing wire cleanup, I would like to see a default version of ctrl+r that does NOT do a cleanup on my wiring.  In other words, if I start with code like this:

Capture.PNG

And then select "Undeploy Project.vi" and type ctrl+r, I get this:

Capture1.PNG

This is a basic example, but I've seen really goofy rewiring when you have lots of non-railroaded methods tied to the same class wire or reference.  I've taken to first deleting the reference wire branch that connects the VI I want to remove to the main class/ref trunk and then selecting the VI and hitting ctrl+r so that I get this:

Capture2.PNG

If I then click that top wire and do ctrl+u, I get the wacky wiring in the middle screenshot, so I assume ctrl+r is doing a cleanup after deleting the VI.  My manual workaround is a little tedious, and I often forget to do it and end up doing a lot of ctrl+z.  I'd like to see ctrl+r do the noninvasive wire remove (screenshot 3), and then maybe make ctrl+shift+r do the remove+cleanup (screenshot 2).

David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,757 Views)

I must admit, I often cringe when I'm about to do Ctrl-Space, Ctrl-R and realize that it's gonna clean up wires I don't want it to clean up. But I'd say that's the minority of the time...most of my Ctrl-Rs, I'm happy for it to clean up the wires.

Since Ctrl-Shift-R already does some special stuff (remove structure, remove unused inputs of growable functions), what if I made it so that if you type 'w' in the Quick Drop text box before pressing Ctrl-R, it will refrain from doing a wire cleanup?

Message 2 of 8
(3,751 Views)

Yeah, as long as there's a way to do it, I'm all for it!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,743 Views)

Ok, barring catastrophe this change will be in LabVIEW 2020. If you want to try it now in LabVIEW 2019, replace the following files with the ones attached to this reply and if you get a chance to try it out, let me know how it works for you.

resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\Remove and Rewire.vi

vi.lib\Utility\QuickDropSupport\Remove and Rewire Objects_core.vi

(standard disclaimer: backup shipping LabVIEW files before replacing them, etc. etc.)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,708 Views)

Thanks Darren!

I only have access to 2018 and earlier.  If you can backsave to 2018, I'd be happy to test and provide any feedback.

David

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,704 Views)

Sure, here they are saved in LabVIEW 2018. Let me know how it goes.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,701 Views)

Works so far.  I'll stress test it on some odder wiring schemes and let you know if there are any niche cases.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,696 Views)

I just took them even further back to 2016, which is the version I am actively developing in at the moment.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,681 Views)