Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A "Cached" QDKS Plugin

In this thread, JG requests the ability to cache a quick drop plugin VI.  In LabVIEW 2009 (and 2010), Quick Drop, along with any launched plugin, leaves memory after each use.  So native caching of Quick Drop and/or plugin VIs is not currently possible.

That being said, I came up with an alternative approach that effectively "caches" a plugin VI.  In this approach, Quick Drop and its plugin still leave memory each time, but the first time the plugin runs, it launches a spawned VI that stays in memory.  Whenever the plugin runs, it sends a message (via queue) to the spawned VI to have it perform some action.  If that message is 'quit', the spawned VI leaves memory.  There is no auto-cleanup of the spawned VI going on, so it will stay in memory unless you send it a 'quit' message or you exit LabVIEW.  It's not the prettiest solution, but it's does allow for "caching" of a VI that one or more plugins can call into whenever Quick Drop runs.

Follow these steps to try out the cached plugin with LabVIEW 2009 or later:

1. Copy the attached VIs below into your LabVIEW\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins folder.  No LabVIEW restart is necessary.
  2. With a VI open, press Ctrl-Space.
  3. While Quick Drop is open, press Ctrl-Z.  The first time you do this, a dialog will appear with a count of '0'.
  4. Repeat steps 2-3.  You'll see the count continue to increase, which illustrates that the plugin stays in memory.
  5. Launch Quick Drop again, but type 'quit', then press Ctrl-Z.  This causes the spawned VI to leave memory.
  6. When you repeat steps 2-3 again, the count restarts at 0, illustrating that the plugin has entered memory once again.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(16,842 Views)

Any way to do something similar for the main QD window?  (Already selected "Load palettes during launch" but still catch myself typing shortcuts before the QD window is finished loading.)

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,040 Views)

Not in 2010, but I'm investigating some options in 2011.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,040 Views)