From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Student Projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRIO Aquaponics

Overview of what project is:

Aquaponics is a sustainable farming method that combines the techniques of hydroponics (cultivating plants in water)   and aquaculture (raising aquatic animals in tanks) in a symbiotic environment. In an aquaponic system the waste produced by the fish provides the plants the nutrients they need to survive and grow.  Ultimately, aquaponics is a food production system that provides you with pesticide free fruits and vegetables, as well as delicious, high protein fresh water fish. In addition, aquaponics system uses 10% of water used in traditional farming, has small footprint and is ideal for gardening in an urban setting.

In this project, you will learn how to build a small aquaponic system and automate it with myRIO.  You will learn about flow meters, pH, ultrasonic and digital temperature sensors, as well as principles of signal conditioning and closed loop control.

Picture of project:

LV_FP.png

myRIO_Aquaponics4.JPG.JPGIMG_4037.JPG

Video of project:

Parts List:

Item

12 Gal. Fish tank (21"x11.5"x17.5")

Grow bed

Pipes, fittings, valves

Hydroton Grow Rocks (50L)

40-70 GPH Fountain Pump

ATS26454 Tetra Ht55 Submersible Heater

1x TL082 Op-amp

1x 4.75KOhm Resistor

3x 10KOhm Resistor

2x Diodes

Wiring + Connectors

PinPoint pH probe

PING))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor

FS300 Flowmeter (Hall Effect)

Temperature Sensor - DS18B20

8 Channel Relay Board

myRIO

Wiring Diagram:

myRIO_aquaponics_circuit_labeledpng.pngmy_RIO_Aquaponics_dig_circuit.png

Instructions: myRIO Aquaphonics Instructions.docx attached

C or LV?: LabVIEW

Version of LV: 2013

Code: myRIO_Aquaphonics_Code.zip attached

Sunaina K.
Product Marketing Manager for CompactRIO & TSN

Making the intangible, tangible
Comments
bkvamme
on

Hi,

I am going to use the D18B20 temperature sensor for a different project, and would like to reuse the VIs in this project to interface with the temperature sensors. Is the VI configured to handle multiple temperature sensors on the same wire?

MikhailK
NI Employee (retired)
on

From what I recall, the code was written for one sensor. Also there's a utility for 1-wire devices on LabVIEW tools network:

https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/tools-network/download.onewire-utilities.html

Mikhail
RF Toolkits, Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
bkvamme
on

Mikhail,

Thank you very much for your response. I will most certainly have a look at the example for the cRIO.

evilzone
on

Hi,it looks great, i am working in something similar, have you tried with amonia and nitrate testers?.

MikhailK
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi evilzone! I haven't tried those primarily because I wanted to keep the cost of system down. Those would certainly be great additions, especially for balancing the system (optimal ratio of fish to plants).

Mikhail
RF Toolkits, Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
dannyalharris
on

A big thanks for this great project !

Can I know, how to save the data obtained from the sensors. For example, the data obtained from the temperature sensor for every 1 hour .