PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using PXIe 5162 (2 channels) NI scope for data aquisition.

I was using one of the two channels as a trigger source which is a short pulse of laser. I want to use the external trigger channel so the other two channels can be used for two sets of data. I used signal express to configure the external trigger but I cannot make it work successfully even though it worked well with one of the signal channels as a trigger channel. Do I need to configure the external trigger channel differently? how can I make this work? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,122 Views)

Hi,

I was able to test a similar setup without any issue.  What type of trigger have you specified?  Also, can you provide some additional details as to what specifically is not working (i.e. are you getting an error message, unable to find where to configure the trigger source, etc)?

James K.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,113 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I'm using a short pulse laser as a trigger source. The pulsewidth is about 1ns and the amplitude I have is about 20mV which seemed to be sufficient for the regular channel as a trigger source. I had the trigger channel configured at DC coupling, positive edge trigger. I am not getting any error but no data is reported which I'm assuming is because the scope is not getting the trigger pulses. I played with the trigger level but did not help. I tried to use the same trigger level as I was using for the regular channel. I'm not sure if 20mV of amplitude is too small for this external trigger. My typical signals are of the order of few 100 mV.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,110 Views)

Hi,

If you look at page 16 of the specifications manual (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373858a.pdf), note the trigger sensitivity specification.  For the 5162, the trigger sensitivity is 3% of full scale.  Assuming you are using a 50 ohm input impedance, this would correspond to 3%*5v=150mV minimum voltage to trigger.  

This link also explains these specifications in a little more detail:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AF46FE2038BF2C0186256C3D0078EFF2?OpenDocument

James K.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,102 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I did increase the amplitude to over 200mV but did not help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,087 Views)

Is it possible to try increasing the duration (at least for testing purposes) as well?

James K.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,076 Views)

It seems to be working with 50Ohm termination (externally terminated with a BNC T). Now I'm trying to figure out how to configure the external TRIG channel at 50Ohm termination. I tried to configure the channel using the chan configure VI but does not work. I have tried a few other things in labview to configure this channel at 50 but without any success.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,072 Views)

Hi,

You can set the trigger input impedance using a niScope property node with the property 'Trigger Impedance.'

James K.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,056 Views)

I tried doing that but for some reason I get an error. but I figured out my problem. I had to increase the trigger pulse amplitude to close to 2V to be able to get constant trigger.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,032 Views)