PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

synchronization capabilities of rmc 8354

Hi all,

I have two real-time systems that I'd like to be able to use interchangeably.

1) (RMC-8354 controller + PXIe-8388 + PXIe-8364 + NI-9159) system

2) cRIO-9039 + several daq cards

When in use, these systems need to be synchronized with a different PXI daq system that has a timing and synchronization card which supports IRIG-B and 1588. The cRIO supports TSN, so I believe I can synchronize that system using 1588 w/ hardware support for <microsecond timing according to http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52962/en/ .

I can't find any information regarding the RMC-8354 timing and synchronization support, but ideally I'd be able to sync using the same protocol. My concern is that the RMC may not have the hardware to support TSN, thus no 1588 w/ hardware support.

Does anyone know of how precise synchronization can be achieved for the RMC-8354 system without the need to purchase a new timing card for the PXI chassis?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,974 Views)

Hi,

The synchronization for the first system will not be done with the RMC. MXI cabling does not carry synchronization information, so any synchronization signals will have to be routed between the various PXI and cRIO chassis themselves. 

As far as your setup goes, you are going to have a number of problems. 

1. Currently, there are no TSN-enabled PXI solutions, regardless of timing cards. You will not be able to use TSN to synchronize your TSN-enabled cRIO with any PXI chassis in your system. TSN synchronization is only possible between devices that are explicitly TSN-enabled, which is currently a selection of cDAQ and cRIO chassis.

2. Secondly, the MXI-daisychained cRIO in the RMC system does not feature an ethernet port, which will make even standard IEEE 1588 impossible. 

Depending on your application, it may make sense to try signal-based synchronization. You could use the timing card to output a clock and any necessary triggers. You would need an NI-9402 in each cRIO chassis to receive those signals, but it should be possible. Which, with the various hardware you have, might be the best you can hope for. If you're able to replace chassis, there may be other options, but right now, it is going to be difficult.

Kevin S.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,956 Views)

@Kevin.MN wrote:

As far as your setup goes, you are going to have a number of problems. 

1. Currently, there are no TSN-enabled PXI solutions, regardless of timing cards. You will not be able to use TSN to synchronize your TSN-enabled cRIO with any PXI chassis in your system. TSN synchronization is only possible between devices that are explicitly TSN-enabled, which is currently a selection of cDAQ and cRIO chassis.

Hi Kevin,

As I understand it, hardware-timed IEEE 1588 PTP is supported by any TSN-enabled controller. TSN and 1588 are two timing options for the cRIO (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/54067/en/), so I'm assuming I can use hardware-timed 1588 to sync the cRIO system with a separate PXI system, which has a PXI-6683H timing card that supports 1588. Do you see any problems with that approach?

The RMC system seems a bit more challenging to integrate...

Thanks,

Ted

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,944 Views)

Hi Ted,

That approach looks solid from what I've seen so far. There's no explicit documentation about 1588 sync'ing a 6683 with a cRIO, but it should work. 

Kevin S.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,930 Views)