cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing existing traditional ATE to PXI based ATE

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

We are using traditional ATE equiped with traditional instruments e.g Tektronics :Scope,Agilent: Switches;Mux;Matrix;DMM;Function Generator,Chroma:Power Supply,Loads etc...

I Contacted NI to get praposal for replacing these instruments with NI instruments.The price of NI products is compratively higher than the traditional instruments.Now its difficult for me to propose this to my managemnt.

What generally; you people doing for replacing traditional ATE with this New S/w ,PXI?

Can I use same high channel count digitiser for replace measuremnt instrument like Scope,DMM ?

Regards:

Vaibhav Kanchan
Sr. Engineer
NI Certified LabVIEW Developer(CLD)
NI Certified TestStand Developer(CTD}
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,384 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VaibhavKanchan
  • DMM: PXI-4072 (I LOVE this DMM)
  • Switches/MUX: NI has a good range of PXI switches that work well.  I've been wanting to play with PXI switches from Pickering, especially their BRIC.
  • Function Generator: The PXI-5421 is a really good Arbitrary Waveform Generator.
  • Power Supplies: Agilent has a good set of modular power supplies (N6700 series).  You can put up to 4 power supplies is a single 1U mainframe and communicate with them over LAN.
  • I use Chroma electronic loads, but I don't really like them for the situations I have been forced into using them.  They are really good for constant current loads, but I hate them for constant resistance loads unless you are under 100 Ohms.  Still looking for alternatives.  Also stuck using GPIB or serial communications.  I'm trying to push to LAN for cost reasons.
  • Oscilloscope: I have found that the Tektronics scopes are the best way to go.  It is really hard to replace an actual screen on a scope that you can play with during troubleshooting.  And the built-in measurements means I don't have to process the waveform myself.  Again, talk to it over LAN.
  • Source Meter (power supply with an accurate dmm built in):  Been using the Keithley 2425.  Tempted to look at the NI source meters mostly because Keithley seems to just refuse to go to LAN.  But that is a really good source meter.

In my honest opinion, PXI has its place and traditional instruments have theirs.  PXI is very good for the right instruments (switches, muxes, DMM, AWG, low current power supplies).  But I find traditional instruments are needed for power supplies that need to output any decent current and electronic loads (again, because of the current needs).  I have used NI's digitizing cards before, but I still go back to when I have to debug and how nice it is to have an actual screen showing my waveforms and then being able to play with cursors on the fly.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 2
(5,374 Views)