PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxie-8106 video support

Is it possible to set up a PXIe-8106 with dual-monitors?  What is the PXIe-8106's maximum video resolution?

Thanks!
Jon
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,378 Views)
Hi Jon,
i´m not sure with the dual-monitors, but from the specification i know it has this video card "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950". And from this web site you get, that 2048*1536 should be possible.

Hope it helps.
Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 07-16-2008 08:34 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,377 Views)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note!  I saw that too, and am wondering if there might be any hidden "gotchas" that might limit the chipset's capabilities.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,371 Views)
Howdy jcb,

Looking at Page 3-1 of the PXIe-8106 User Manual & Specs, glancing at the picture of the PXIe-8106's front panel, or checking out its datasheet--the PXIe-8106 has only one video connector (a DVI-I video connector that comes with a DVI-VGA adapter if needed), so you cannot plug two monitors directly into the chassis at the same time for a dual monitor setup. You might look into some sort of 3rd party, external video splitter to split the DVI-I connection into two monitors if you want, but that's kind of at your discretion.

To confirm as you saw in the datasheet, the chipset is a standard Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with the specifications listed on Intel's page. Assuming your monitor supports it, it will do 2048x1536 resolution @ 75Hz.
Warm regards,

pBerg
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,356 Views)

Hi Jon,

You should be able to use a DVI-I to DVI-A/VGA splitter to connect one DVI and one VGA monitor to the PXI-8108 controller, reference attachment. The two monitors can be used in mirrored or extended mode with the Intel chipset.

Regards,

Andy L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,193 Views)

I am having a similar issue with an NI PXI-8105 Embedded Controller.

My Setup:

I would like to have two digital video outputs for an extended desktop on two separate monitors.  Additionally, I would like to have a second analog input into the second monitor.  This would allow the operator to select the extended desktop (digital) or a camera system (analog) by just pressing the Digital/Analog switch on the front of the monitor.  The monitors are Dell 1908FP, which is a common monitor. 

I have connected the system as shown in the diagram labeled Monitor Setup.jpg

When I connect the splitter cable, the monitors do not display anything and go into a power save mode.  In fact, it seems the splitter cable causes a problem.  When the cable is inserted and only one of the monitors is connected the screen is blank.   If the splitter cable is removed the monitor will display the desktop. 

My question:  

Is there a way to get this set up so that it works?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,055 Views)

Hi Mark,

The PXI-8105 includes a DVI-I video connector. From the diagram of your system I understand that you are using DVI-D connector. The PXI-8105 data sheet specifies that the included video connector is DVI-I and also the following Knowledge Base article specifies that “The DVI-I connection on PXI controllers use a DVI-I (single link) connection and the graphic chipset supports two displays in mirrored or extended mode by using a DVI-I to DVI-D/VGA splitter.” So, if I am right in that you are currently using the DVI-D connector you will need to use a DVI-I spliter connector. I hope this is helpful,

Ana P
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,020 Views)

Thanks Ana.

This is now making sense.  I will run the extended desktop as VGA.  And order a VGA monitor swtich to swtich on the second monitor between the extended desktop and the VGA camera system.

Mark | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,009 Views)
I’m glad to hear that it is making sense now. Please let us know if you have other questions later on. Have a nice day,
Ana P
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,994 Views)