From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi route stopped working

Hello,

I need to use PXI-5105 with external clock and external digital trigger. Since 5105 only has 1 PFI input on the front panel (PFI1), I decided to use it to input external clock (10MHz) and route the external trigger through another PXI board front panel input, namely "AI Start Trigger" input (PFI0) of the PXI-6133 board. I use Labview VI "DAQmx Connect Terminals" and select PFI0 on 6133 as a source and PXI_Trig0 on 5105 as a destination. I configure 5105 with PFI1 as clock timebase source and RTSI0 as digital reference trigger source.

This setup worked fine until I powered down the system, installed a new PCI-5922 board on the PC and turned it back on. Now from the looks of it the 5105 does not see the trigger routed as described above when it fires. I do not get any error messages from Labview BTW.

I'm using the following hardware and software:

PXIe-10262
PXIe-8370
PXI-6133 in slot 5
PXI-5105 in slot 8
PCI-5922
Labview 8.20
NIDAQmx 8.3
NIScope 3.2

Fedor.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,422 Views)
Hi Fedor,
There are a few steps you can do to try to isolate the issue:

1) If you remove the PCI-5922 does the triggering work again?
2) Try moving the PCI-5922 to each of the other PCI slots in the PC, see if the issue occurs in each slot

Regards,
John E.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,415 Views)
John,

I found the source of my problem. I was calling "niScope Initialize.vi" with "reset device" parameter set to "TRUE". It was resetting the above trigger route. What is beyond me though why the same code was  working before.

As a follow-up question, is it possible to establish "permanent route" like that within the PXI chassis so that it would remain in place through device resets and possibly through power cycling? I looked through MAX and Labview but didn't find anything.

Fedor.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,408 Views)
Hi Fedor,
Good to hear that it is working for you.  There is no completely permanent way to route the signals since the routing is through transistors whose values will be lost when power is lost.

However a "permanent solution" for you could be to create an executable that uses the "DAQmx Connect Terminals" VI and selects PFI0 on 6133 as a source and PXI_Trig0 on 5105 as a destination. Then put this exe in your windows start menu -> Programs -> Startup folder.  Then every time you start windows, the connection will automatically be made.

Regards,
John E.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,374 Views)