PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi ac power supply

Can anyone help
I need to control 4 filements from a pxi chassis(if posssible) they are 6v-10v 1.5 amps each, to increase the life expectancy i need to reverse the polarity on all the filements as well as read the voltage and current back, i could use 4 pxi 4110 dc power supplys( or Chroma) with 4 external ac-dc power supplys to supply the current and a pxi-2566 relay card to switch the polarity, this is OK but not a very nice looking solution (needs to be delivered to the customer).
    Just thought there should be a better way of doing it, any one got one (Is there a PXI ac power supply with 2 outputs capable of 2a each ?(i cant find one).

Thanks for any help
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,577 Views)

Hi,

After looking at the options NI have for this type of application, I think the solution you have come up with is about the best we can do. I tried doing a Google search for AC cPCI power supplies and did get a few hits. It may be worth your while checking that out yourself.

Sarah

Applications Engineer | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,548 Views)
Thanks for the reply i will have a look at that.

Cheers Space cowboy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,531 Views)
I'm looking for the same solution, but I've got even more demands.
I've got the PXI-1042 chassis.  According to the specs its power supply can deliver 3.3V at 20A, 5V at 29A, +12 @3.5A and -12 @2A.  I need that power to provide for pre-amp power, bridge excitation, remote motor drivers... etc.  I'll use DC-DC converters where practical, but I want THAT power.   Now, how can i get it?

David
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,368 Views)
Hi David,

The power figures you are quoting there are what it available on the PXI backplane to any cards plugged in. There are no readily available connections to these power lines as they are designed to power PXI cards not external devices. National Instruments do offer a Programmable PXI Power supply for use within a PXI chassis (details in link bellow).

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202609

Regards

Jon Bowers
NI UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,344 Views)

Jon,

thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't have the horses I need.  I would really like an amp at +-12V.

I have found an alternative that the first post might also consider.  It is the Geotest 7404.  This card fuses and relay switches bus voltages and also monitors the output voltages and currents.  It doesn't give me the 1 amp I desire, but it does provide +-12 at 500ma and 3.5v and 5v at 2 amps.  it is not the precision supply card NI's 4110 is, but it looks like it what I need.  Life would be easier if I had a larger chassis, but I'm stuck with an 8 slot and only one slot free.

David 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,333 Views)

Hi there,

Nice the Geotest 7404, but it is not programmable as the NI 4110, isn't it ?

In my case, this is an issue, as I need a fully controllable power supply.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,281 Views)

The GeoTest GX7404 worked fine, but it did not have RT drivers at the time (available now???).  I complained about buying a $1000 board I couldn't use and the folks were kind enough to send me a partial register map that I was able to use to energize the relays.  The board has voltage/current  monitoring capabilities that i can't use at the moment.

I wish NI would build a similar board.  I would prefer to use it than a lab supply to power external circuits.   Oh, and have I said how much I like snippets???

This snippet lets you turn off and on all of the relays.  Note that the VISA resource name varies with your chassis and slot #.

Geotest GX7404 RT Relay Control.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,276 Views)

Nice, I see

But then it is 1000 bugs for a fixed power supply with relays, isn't it ?

I mean, the Geotest is not programmable as the NI 4110.

Is it?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,256 Views)
NI PXI-4110
The National Instruments PXI-4110 is a programmable, triple-output, +6, -20, +20 V , all at 1Amp,  precision DC power supply in a single-slot, 3U PXI module. 
Looks like a very nice supply and one i should acquire as soon as possible. The application I had needed 3.3, 5v, +12 & -12V and I didn't feel I could derive the +3.3 from 5V.
For most uses the 4110 is definately a better choice and as you said not as programmable as the 4110.

Your "...it is 1000 bugs..." saying is interesting. Is it an old saying or an old programmer's saying ? 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,246 Views)