PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi 8336 fiber optic interface

Hello,

I am attempting to setup my DAQ in MAX using a PC as the controller but when I configure the SCXI chassis to the system it says it is not communicating therfore it is not giving me options for communication method. Setup:

PC: with reinstalled Windows Vista

PXI-8336 Interface

2009 MAX/NI

The green power light is on in the PXI-8336, but no other signals (LNK, RX, TX)

Thanks!

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,146 Views)

Hey,

Can you give me the model number for the chassis you are using? Also, are you using a DAQ card inside a PXI chassis to control a seperate SCXI chassis, or is it a PXI/SCXI combo chassis? The problem is most likely that you need to manually add the SCXI componant of your system to MAX. It might be helpful for you to give me an overview of the model numbers for each NI product in your system.

Hopefully with this information we can assist you!

Matt W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,119 Views)

Andrew,

To start with the basics, are you powering up the PXI-8336 before the PC?  It won't link if that's not done in the right order.  Other things to check if you've been rearranging hardware:  Is the PXI-8336 in slot 1 (not a peripheral slot)?  Is the cable connected at both sides?

What are the LEDs on the PC side?  Has this ever worked with this PC?  Or another PC?  Any duplicate hardware you can swap out (chassis, MXI kit, cable, PC)?

The symptoms you're describing are definitely a hardware issue, not software.  Until you get a link light there's nothing software can do regardless of the OS or drivers.  So look for cable damage or connection problems.  Try a different PC (no need to install any software, just check for PWR and LNK).

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,108 Views)

Hi, the model number of the SCXI chassis is 1001. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,063 Views)

Thanks Robert. I'll tty to get my hands on some spare equipment. Unfortunately I don't have another PC to try but I'll try swappiong the other components first. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,060 Views)

We are using Kinetics System for Data Aquistion system and for communication purpose we used NI PXI 8336 MXI-4 card for communication.

During communication from DAQ chasis to HOST PC it was found that only PWR and LINK Led blowing and NO "RX" and TX" Led blinks.

There is problem in communication between Host PC and DAQ chasis so kindly help to troubleshoot the same.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,131 Views)

Hello,

This thread is a year old.  I think it would be a good idea to create a new forum post outlining your issue so that you will have the entire thread to yourself.

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,109 Views)