From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi 8184 reboots undesirably

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi to everyone,

This is my first post, so I apologize if I miss something and also for my English

We've been running succesfully by many years a LabVIEW RT (ver. 8.5.1) application on a PXI 8184 (chassis PXI 1042, 2 PXI 4472B modules, 1 PXI 6624 module, 1 PXI 6224 module). As part of our maintenance protocol, we loaded an image of the traditional PXI configuration (the one that we always use), using the system replication tool, as we normally do.

A few days ago we did this. After the application started to run, the PXI suddenly rebooted. Since that time, the PXI application always reboots undesirably.

This doesn't happen if we run the application directly from LV (no build application).

It is important to mention that we have no records of falls or hits that could affect the PXI system integrity. We've been trying different solutions, but nothing happens (resetting, reinstalling,...).

¿Is there any hardware or software explanation to this? (watchdog, CMOS).

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Greetings.

Roberto.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,520 Views)

So you're saying that when you run the application (e.g., .exe), the PXI controller reboots? However, if you run it in LabVIEW, it doesn't cause the controller to reboot? Does it run fine in LabVIEW and without any errors?

Is this system RT or Windows? I wasn't able to tell.

If it is Windows...

I think the application is causing your controller to reboot because of a BSOD. I'd disable the automatic recovery option in Windows:  http://www.tunexp.com/tips/maintain_your_computer/disabling_blue_screen_of_death_auto-reboot/

It would also be a good idea to enable full memory dumps too:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316450

If it is RT...

I'd reformat the target and redeploy the software and see if that changes anything.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,505 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rpereira

Thanks 'Uncle James'

This is a RT OS. As you say, we already redeployed the app, but at the end, this was not the problem.

Yesterday we noticed that, due to an unknown reason, the channel assignation was taking too long (we still don't know why), longer than 10 seconds (our watchdog timeout parameter).  The solution was to increase the watchdog timeout parameter to 20 seconds , and also to introduce a 'whack watchdog'  command between every channel assignation.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings,

rpereira

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,495 Views)