PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi-8176 controller to read data from an instrument controlled by another controller

can i use pxi-8176 controller to read instrument data on the gpib bus from an instrument controlled by another pc gpib controller?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,553 Views)

Hi Niulupus,

I am not sure I understand your hardware setup exactly. Could you clarify how the chassis the PXI-8176 is inside is connected to the other instrument?

Sunaina K.
Product Marketing Manager for CompactRIO & TSN

Making the intangible, tangible
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,542 Views)

Let me know if this makes any sense.

PXI Monitor setup.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,525 Views)

Hi Niulupus,

It is possible and I have attached a link below which explains further:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C42CDC77C00E0B8086256E9B0078F887?OpenDocument

Sunaina K.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,514 Views)

I could be wrong, but it seems that the referenced link is about two LabVIEW programs executing simultaneously on a single machine, while I would have two LabVIEW programs executing simultaneously on a two machines: PC and PXI. The PC is controlling the instrument, while the PXI is just listening to the conversation and selecting what to use from it, mainly the measurements from instrument. I'm thinking the PXI would have to use something equivalent to NI IO Trace but pull the actual measurements out of the GPIB communication.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,510 Views)

Hi

It looks like the key takeaway is to not access the same instrument using different programs simultaneously:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B3581043F530C4EB86256EEF0003C755?OpenDocument

Sunaina K.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,494 Views)

Thank you very much Sunaina. I really appreciate your help.

Now, that we know what's NOT possible, I would like to find out what is possible.

What I envisioned, is some vi behaving in a way similar to NI IO Trace (NI Spy), but more evolved such that it feeds all it sees to an algorithm...

I'm not entirely familiar with NI IO Trace, but it seems that you can only write to a file or to memory - the Start Tracing VI does not offer an output string that I could feed to an algorithm... So, I'm wondering how can I grab all that NI IO Trace sees and feed it to an algorithm real time?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,484 Views)

Hi Niulupus,

I do not think you can do this in realtime, but you can save the data to a text file and then have a program which opens this and analyzes the data.

Sunaina K.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,469 Views)

Thanks.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm also trying to understand why the following is not possible or is not more readily available:... Just as NI IO Trace (NI Spy) listens/eavesdrops to the GPIB real time, one would think that Labview would be able to do it also. One would think that just as NI IO Trace (NI Spy) publishes to a window/file/memory it shouldn't be impossible to publish to a string so that it can be processed real-time by some VI algorithm. If I think about NI IO Trace as a VI, I would think that it is already in a string format before it is published to the NI IO Trace window... why isn't that string available to Labview VIs block diagram?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,463 Views)

Hi Niulupus,

I am not sure why this option is not available in LabVIEW, but you can suggest this idea on the Idea Exchange:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Idea-Exchange/ct-p/ideas

Sunaina K.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,457 Views)