PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi 2575 and ethernet

Can I feed an ETHERNET Signal ( on one NIC Card of a PC) thru a PXI 2575 and then thru a PXI2568 and back into another ETHERNET Port ( another NIC) on a PC??

Does going thru these relays degrade the signal enough that I won't see it??

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,489 Views)

The path resistance for both of these relays is 0.5 Ohm, so your signal should not degrade significantly.  If you don't mind my asking, why do you need to route through both relays?

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,480 Views)

Seth,

We are checking out a number of different paths using a Switch and a Virginia panel.  The 1st VP is a Self Test.  When I go thru the switch then thru the relays I don't see the 2nd NIC Card.  But if I take an ethernet cable and go directly from one port to another ( on the same PC, 2 diff nic cards) I can PING both ports.  I thought it was the relays.  It could be the wiring.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,472 Views)

Clint,

Could you link me to some information on this Virignia Panel that you are using?  Also, I assume you are routing the ethernet signal by stripping out the wires of a CAT5 cable and routing each to the 2nd NIC through both the PXI 2575 and the 2568.  Is this correct?

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,459 Views)

I wouldn't expect this to work.  The bandwidth ratings for the switches you mentioned are 20 MHz and 40 MHz.  Ethernet will require more than that. 

GigE requires 125 MHz for its fundamental frequency, and probably requires 250 MHz to work.  100Mbit ethernet needs to pass a clock of 25 MHz, but probably requires 50 MHz or 75 MHz to work.  As you can tell from the vague numbers, I don't know much about ethernet signaling, so these numbers are what a coworker recalled.  They haven't been verified, but they should be in the ballpark.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,444 Views)