From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pc won't power up with chassis connected

I have a PXI chassis connected to a PC through a MXI card.  I installed the DAQmx drivers to support the DAQ card installed in the chassis.  When I power off the PC, power on the PXI chassis (MXI cable connected), the PC will not boot up.  For an instant the HDD light is on...then at the moment communication is typically established with the chassis, the HDD light goes off and never comes back on.  The PC doesn't boot.

When I disconnect the MXI cable or power the chassis down, the PC boots up as normal.  Am I missing drivers for the MXI card?  What could be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,841 Views)

Hi,

does your PC ever boot successfully with the MXI cable connected? Also is this a new system or is it a system that has worked before and is just now exhibiting issues. One thing I would suggest is to try upgrading your BIOS to the latest version. There are times when the BIOS has had compatibility issues with the MXI drivers, so this could be an issue.

Check this link to see if it helps with your issue:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/81CBF2F7F0BAEDBD86257330000514DF

Gabriel M.
Product Marketing Engineer - Academic Courseware
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,823 Views)

The PC successfully boots with the cable connected and chassis powered off.  However, with chassis power on and cable connected, the pc never boots successfully.

The system is new...just powered on.  I will look into upgrading the BIOS.

Are the drivers for the MXI card installed with the DAQmx drivers that shipped with the DAQ card?  The PCI card doesn't show in my Hardware list on the PC...

Thank you for the assistance.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,811 Views)

Can you explain what you mean by the PCI card not showing up in your Hardware list? Are you referring to Windows Device Manager? For the PCI connection the drivers should be automatically installed from Windows OS. 

This link provides more information on using MXI-4 devices, but I'm not sure which card you are using:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6E8F66D201130C5A862575CF004D10DF

Gabriel M.
Product Marketing Engineer - Academic Courseware
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,797 Views)