From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of memor error in 10 inputs sampling

i'm using the PXIe-4496 to sample 10 channels at 12KS/s. I need about 3 minutes of sampling which makes 2.2MSamples.

everytime i go a little higher than 1 MSamples i get error windows:

"not enough memory to complete this operation"  "Labview memory is full. the top level VI "sva_Uff58writefileblockvies.vi:1" was stopped at..."

system: windows xp, 2GB RAM, signal express 2011

can this problembe solved without sampling less channels?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,218 Views)

Hello Morb, 

When LabVIEW stores data, it stores it in contiguous segments of memory. I see that you are requesting 1.44M samples at a time. You may have enough available memory, but I suspect you don't have enough memory in a single block. 

2013-03-15_134414.png

You can try changing your acquisition mode to Continuous and decreasing the number of samples to read. This will still allow you to get the same amount of data, but it will allow you to pull data off of the hardware buffer in smaller amounts to store to your available memory. 

You can also check how much contiguous memory you have using the code developed in the following Community Example. This will give you an array of contiguous sections of memory from largest to smallest. 

Maggie
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,193 Views)

hi Maggie,

I've tried changing the acquisition mode to Continuous, the same as before: the reading of the data works fine, when the reading ends (I assume that's when the reading from the buffer begins) the memory usage jumps to 1.3GB and after a while - error messages and the program crashes.
the program works if I decrease the number of readings but I need at list 1.8 MSamples ?

would changing hardware solve it?

Regards,
Mor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,174 Views)

Hello Morb, 

The out of memory error is not dependent on your National Instruments hardware, but it is dependent on your available memory. You can increase the available memory by following the instructions in LabVIEW Help. If you changed your hardware to use a new computer, it may improve, but you don't need to change your DAQ hardware.

How do you know that the memory usage jumps? Are you monitoring it in the task manager? When it crashes "after a while," what is happening in code? Are you doing processing on the data or just trying to save it to file? 

You can also try implementing a Logging step so the data can be logged continuously. 

Maggie
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,157 Views)