PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need a tutorial for RTSI triggering

I am using a PXI-8196 with 5 PXI modules, the ones that matter here are a PXI-6542, and  PXI-4060. In 5 of 6 instances I am triggering the hsDIO card off a TTL signal on PFI0 - no problem. For the sixth case I need to trigger when an input voltage (115Vac) is present. My thinking is to use the DMM and when the voltage is present trigger the 6542 using the RTSI trigger line. But I have never exposed a DMM reading as a RTSI trigger. A tutorial and/or example would be hugely appreciated. (And if I am taking the wrong approach please set me straight)
TIA
lmd2

Lawrence M. David Jr.
Automation Laboratory Experts. LLC
Lawrence M. David Jr.
Certified LabVIEW Architect
cell: 516.819.9711
http://www.aleconsultants.com
larry@aleconsultants.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,035 Views)
Hello Lawrence,

Unfortunately, the DMM can not be used as a synchronizing device (Triggers can not be routed from the DMM to other PXI devices). The following KnowledgeBase document details what the DMM can/cannot do as far as synchronizing goes, " PXI-407x Synchronization Q&A". The information in this KB applies to the 4060.

What I think you could do though is to use a third Simple MIO DAQ card for routing a start trigger that could be used for the DMM to acquire the high voltage signal and for the HSDIO to beging its operation. The signal of interest (115V) can be externally attenuated to suit the MIO card input limits of 10V and the DAQ card will be able to route the start trigger via the PXI trigger bus.

Ayman K
Message 2 of 3
(3,016 Views)
Thanx for the link to the knowledge base doc.  -  good info
As far as my application we are going an even simpler route, by-passing the DMM altogether and sending the attenuated signal in to the PFI-0 terminal of the PXI-6542 card
Thanx again for the link

Lawrence M. David Jr.
Certified LabVIEW Architect
cell: 516.819.9711
http://www.aleconsultants.com
larry@aleconsultants.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,010 Views)