PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mxi express compatibility

I have a question on MXI Express computer compatibility.  I'm planning on using the MXI Express Kit NI PXI-PCIe8361 to interface a PXI-1044 chassis.  The computer selected (but not purchased yet) is a Trenton Technology TCS 2500 2U rackmount computer.  This system uses an Intel Workstation Board S5520SC.  It looks like this board uses the Intel 5520 chip set with Intel ICH10R.  The NI PCIe-8361 will be the only express card installed in the computer.  The motherboard supports 2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, 1 PCI Express 1.0 x4 slot and 1 PCI Express 1.0 x1 slot. 

Intel Motherboard link 

Can you provide an assessment on the compatibility of this hardware suite? 

Is there a recommended slot for the PCIe-8361?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,446 Views)

Hey Mike,

While chipsets are an important issue when dealing with MXI controllers, there can sometimes be problems with BIOS compatibility.

As there are too many laptops to keep up with testing, there is no comprehensive list that confirms that your set up would work.

One thing to look at would be the NI Developer Zone article, Tips to Help You Successfully Use NI MXI-Express Controllers.  It has information on controller setup.

Regards,
Jake G.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,419 Views)

Mike,

We haven't tested this computer, but your application is pretty simple from a PCI hierarchy perspective and I would expect it to work fine on most computers (including the one you mentioned).  The chassis and MXI Express only add 6 bridges, so the BIOS shouldn't have trouble with it.

The card should work in any slot.  There's probably a slight latency difference between the slots, but if you can't tell a performance difference then it doesn't matter.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,416 Views)

Jake and Robert

Thanks for the comments to my question.  I'll give it a try with this computer. 

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,413 Views)