From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generating signal from a .VCD file using NI-6541 HDSIO module

Solved!
Go to solution

Good afternoon,

My goal is to generate signal from a .VCD file (which originate from a VHDL modelsim simulation) with my HDSIO NI-6541 module.

Here is what I have done:

1) I used the Digital Waveform Editor to generate a HWS file from the VCD file. I followed the steps from this link : http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370748C-01/dwe/vcd_import_help/

I wasn't able to sample "On Edges of VCD Signal" because no signal would appear in the popuplist as shown on the following screenshot:

VCD Import Wizard ster 4 of 5.pngI therefore sampled on a "Fixed Timebase or Rate" as shown on the following screenshot : VCD Import Wizard ster 4 of 5 fixed timebase.png

2) Once my .HWS file was created. I opened up signal express and tried to generate a signal from the .HWS file. Everything seemed to work out until I tried to excecute the program and the following error message poped up : "requested waveform length is invalid, because the number of samples is not an integer of the waveform length increment."

error.PNG

I really don't understand why this error pops up... I've tried generating multiple .vcd files, and using several modules in Signal express but I can't seem to have it work 😞

I'm sure my HDSIO module works though. I've been able to test it with NI MAX.

Would anyone have any experience with HDSIO modules and would know what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,294 Views)

Good afternoon HuguesThales,

Are you sure that there is nothing wrong in your VCD files?

Because maybe Signal Express can't import your signals from the file because of that.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,182 Views)

Good afternoon CdCdkey,

NI digital waveform editor generates a .HWS from my .VCD file so I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't know how else I could "test" my .VCD file... I attached test_hugues.vcd to this message in case you would have any way of checking if there is something wrong with it.

I will be contacting NI soon and will try to keep this post updated.

Thank you and have a nice day.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,158 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author HuguesThales

Hey,

I was able to get rid of the error by changing the length of my signal on Digital Waveform Editor. (I read somewhere that the length of the signal should be a multiple of 4).

I then had another error telling me my Waveform Length exceeded the total device memory. Again, I was able to remove samples using Digital Waveform Editor.

It now works.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,135 Views)