From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automation explorer virtual pxie-1082

Solved!
Go to solution

I've just ordered a PXI system from NI and want to start programming while I await delivery. I thought I could create virtual PXIe devices to do this, but I may be mistaken in my understanding of the MAX program.  While I've used LabVIEW for almost a decade, I've never needed to use "Measurement & Automation Explorer".

When I selected "create new" under "devices and interface" "Simulated NI-DAQmx...", I couldn't find the PXIe-1082 chassis or the core module(PXIe-8840) that I'll be using.  Am I going about this all wrong? 

Thank you for your help,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,983 Views)

I also can't locate the 32 channel PXIe-4304, just an 8 channel -4300.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,977 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mysticfree

Hi Ron,

Unfortuantely, you will not be able to simulate a PXIe chassis or controller in MAX. The PXIe chassis will automatically identify in MAX when you connect them to your computer, while some of our older PXI chassis will need to manually be identified. If you would like to simulate a chassis, you can simulate a PXI chassis and put your PXIe simulated modules in it.

The good news is you do not need to simulate a chassis in order to simulate a card. To simulate the 4304 in MAX:

1. Right-click Devices and Interfaces
  2. Select Create New...
  3. Select Simulated NI-DAQmx Device or Modular Instrument
  4. Search for 4304 and select the module.

I will note, the PXIe-4304 is first supported in our NI-DAQmx 15.1.1 driver. If you have an older version of DAQmx installed, the device will not appear as an option in MAX.

Message 3 of 4
(3,956 Views)

Hi BvanG,

On Monday., I reinstalled the driver DVD from our "NI Developer Suite 2015" (August 2015). NI Max is at version 15.3.  However, PXIe-4300 was the only one available.

After reading your message, I reran the "NI Update" option and found the only driver listed to be updated was "NI-SWITCH 15.1.1".  After updating again, PXIe4303 was available.

Thank you for your help,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,933 Views)