PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP 32-bit Virtual Memory Tuning.

For our PXI racks we "tune" the virtual memory under Windows XP 32-bit (standard NI installation), as a couple of our applications process vast volumes of data , as follows:

Open boot.ini

Find the line beginning with 'multi'

Add the following to the end of the line '/3GB /userva=2560' (without the quotes).

Initially we were supplied with PXIe-8133 driven PXI racks and the above change works perfectly.

However later PXI racks were supplied with PXIe-8115 driven PXI racks.  If the above line is applied to these PXI racks then the result is the graphics card drops to 640x480 4-bit colours and it cannot be changed until the line is removed.

I have tried various values for /userva including 2176, 2432, and 2304 but all results in the same result.

It seems that whilst the PXIe-8133 came with a standard BIOS and hence was configurable to an extent, the PXIe-8115 comes with a NI BIOS and provides very little low level control in comparison.

Has anyone attempted the above on a PXIe-8115 driven rack?  Or can suggest a solution?

Thanks.

Christopher Povey

Principle Test Systems Engineer for BAE Systems.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,203 Views)

I have attached the Windows XP System Resource Maps for both our PXIe-8115 and PXIe-8133 racks.  Both racks contain the same hardware in the same slots (apart from the controller card).

Christopher Povey

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,195 Views)

Hi Christopher, 

Are you able to tweak the virtual memory using the first method listed on this page? 

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Virtual-Memory

Kind regards,

Matt H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,159 Views)

@MHutch wrote:

Hi Christopher, 

Are you able to tweak the virtual memory using the first method listed on this page? 

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Virtual-Memory

Kind regards,

It is set to the maximum of 4096MB.  However I don't think Page File size would stop Out of memory errors when LabVIEW is processing vast amounts of data (say from an ARB card for example).

Christopher Povey

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,156 Views)

Hi Christopher, 

Are you able to confirm the amount of RAM you have installed in each of these controller types? 

Kind regards,

Matt H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,153 Views)

@MHutch wrote:

Hi Christopher, 

Are you able to confirm the amount of RAM you have installed in each of these controller types? 

Kind regards,

The "problem one" PXIe-8115 has 4GB DDR3 single channel memory fitted.

I'll check the PXIe-8133 one once it is free.

Christopher Povey

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,147 Views)

Thanks Chris, it would be good to compare. 

It sounds like you are reserviing too much memory on the 8115 for the video driver to be able to function properly. I'll look into comparing the base specs of the two machines, but if you could provide the RAM information of the 8133, that would be very helpful. 

Kind regards,

Matt H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,145 Views)

@MHutch wrote:

Thanks Chris, it would be good to compare. 

It sounds like you are reserviing too much memory on the 8115 for the video driver to be able to function properly. I'll look into comparing the base specs of the two machines, but if you could provide the RAM information of the 8133, that would be very helpful. 

Kind regards,

Ok,

PXIe-8133:

CPU-Z* is reporting: 3248MB. Channel = Dual.
Windows System Properties Reports: 3.17GB

PXIe-8115:

CPU-Z is reporting : 4GB. Channel = Single.

Windows System Properties Reports: 2.91GB

* CPU-Z software on the PXIe-8133 the NB Frequency and DRAM Frequency are changing slightly as I observe... 😕

Christopher Povey

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,143 Views)

Can you tell me what you stats you get for each using MsInfo32? 

You can access this by 

1) clicking Start > Run

2) type MsInfo32

3) Find the system summary on the main page

Please could you tell me the physical and virtual memory for both of your controllers when you get the chance? 

Kind regards,

Matt H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,141 Views)

@MHutch wrote:

Can you tell me what you stats you get for each using MsInfo32? 

You can access this by 

1) clicking Start > Run

2) type MsInfo32

3) Find the system summary on the main page

Please could you tell me the physical and virtual memory for both of your controllers when you get the chance? 

Kind regards,

PXIe-8115:

Total Physical Memory = 4,096 MB

Available Physical Memory = 2.12 GB

Total Virtual Memory = 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory = 1.95 GB

Page File Space = 4.75 GB

The PXIe-8133 I have access too does not currently have the /3GB /userva switch set.  I will add them and then repeat the above for it.

Christopher Povey

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,138 Views)